Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Lycoming EL-60
Bonjour à tous,

Est ce que quelqu'un à déjà entendu parler de ce moteur?
Serait-il compatible avec le Mosquito XE en remplacement du MZ202?
Est ce que John peut nous donner son avis sur ce moteur?

Merci

Hello everyone,

Is someone ever heard of this engine?
Would it be compatible with the Mosquito XE replacing MZ202?
Is John can give his opinion on this engine?

Thank you

http://www.redbackaviation.com/reference...ure-HR.pdf
Jean-Rémy (XE 1077 - Sud Bretagne - France)
(09-22-2016, 06:10 PM)JRL Wrote: Bonjour à tous,

Est ce que quelqu'un à déjà entendu parler de ce moteur?
Serait-il compatible avec le Mosquito XE en remplacement du MZ202?
Est ce que John peut nous donner son avis sur ce moteur?

Merci

Hello everyone,

Is someone ever heard of this engine?
Would it be compatible with the Mosquito XE replacing MZ202?
Is John can give his opinion on this engine?

Thank you

http://www.redbackaviation.com/reference...ure-HR.pdf

Here is a link to a site with more info...

http://www.redbackaviation.com/reference...o-stroke-1
It sound a perfect choice for a Mosquito... John, lets do the way Mister Robinson did in the seventies with the R22... put together an excellent helicopter with a top choice engine and take off to the next level in term of market... By the way, may be Lycoming is testing his reel reliability with this exclusive contract with military... unmanned drones are for sure a good way to test a new engine before going on public market... Just wait ! Fore sure Lycoming has some good surprise ahead for the ultralight comunity !
Sounds like a good idea. Basically 1HP per pound. 60 HP is a little lacking, though. While I am no expert in helicopters I have found that you can never have too much power or too much left pedal authority. My old Brantly flew great, but you did not want to get low on RPM because it was not coming back without dumping the collective. My 162 and Safari was the same way. My Helicycle had ample power and TR authority and it appears that the XE 285 does also. For ultralight it probably is enough, but I would like to have more power.
(09-22-2016, 09:46 PM)jimwitkowski Wrote: Here is a link to a site with more info...

http://www.redbackaviation.com/reference...o-stroke-1

Hi Jim
thank you for the link
Jean-Rémy (XE 1077 - Sud Bretagne - France)
I asked Lycoming about EL-60 Engine and they told me the engine is available for development along with aircraft manufacturers for a wide range of possibilities...  Looks like John should contact them about that topics. By the way, the Swift is equipped with a Lycoming... looks like there is a way for the mosquito too...
This looks extremely interesting from everything the website had to say. I tried calling yesterday but no answer. I'll try again today. What number did you call Frederic?
(09-23-2016, 02:31 PM)mosquito Wrote: This looks extremely interesting from everything the website had to say.  I tried calling yesterday but no answer.  I'll try again today.  What number did you call Frederic?

Hi John,

I am very excited by this opportunity and if it is a real possibility i will be more than happy to be one of your first customer to try it ! Actually i don't call them but sent a email and i get an answer a few minutes later. He told me he will be out office till monday the 26th september.

Here are contact informations of the man i spoke with :

Shannon Gearry

Regional Manager -  Europe & Africa

Lycoming Engines, an Operating Division of AVCO Corporation
SGearry@lycoming.com,   Mobile +31 (0) 655 282269

Let me know as i am very interested.

Kind Regards,
Fred
Thanks Jim for the link!

This engine does sound interesting. I would think it would be a great fit for the ultralite variants of the Mosquito. The 202 is heavier weighing 82 lbs. vs. 60 lbs. Another issue is the actual output or horsepower. Most of the folks I talked to say the 202  really does not put out 60 hp, more like 50. 

On the link I did not see any reference to "vertical" mounting of the engine (I don't like to assume to much). Fitting a alternator will be needed but should not be too difficult. The price point $4,600 US compared to the $6,000 for the 202 is a positive and a less intense maintenance schedule would be a plus. 

I hope this becomes an option or even the standard engine for the UL Mosquitos, but it is too early to tell. It would be nice to get added power and possibly greater reliability for those machines!

Michael
XE 285  1205 (Myrtle)
Start: 8/1/2013
Finish: 5/24/2014
Arrived home: 10/11/2014

On the documentation they says there are 2 pulleys for an optional alternator and/or other accessory drives and it's also said mounth position can be varied ;-)