Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
where is everyone?
Sad 
Hey everyone,
 It has been YEARS since I have come here. I have been in the military working my butt off slowly drifting further and further away from my dream of the mosquito. A couple of years ago while I was at Ft Rucker I e-mailed Dwight (I think) and asked if I could come visit the workshop and he was kind enough to take time out of his busy day and show me around! It was an awesome day for me, getting to finally see something I had only dreamed about for years! he gave my wife and I few souvenirs and we went on our way. At that point I thought I would be able to purchase the first kit within a year but then life happened and I pushed it on the backburner (again)  Confused

Well!!! exciting news for me.... I am a few months away from getting out of the Army and starting a new job as a civilian in the very same shop that I currently work in and will be making almost double! I already have $9k stashed away which means (fingers crossed) I can start building sometime early next year!!!  Big Grin

My question is "where did everyone go?"  the forum seems rather uneventful, is there a new forum somewhere? 

I have a bunch of other questions but I will save them for later!

Thanks!
Helifrek,

Yes the forum has grown a little cooler. New blood like yours will help liven it up. Fire off your questions and folks will wake up and answer them. Congratulations on your new job and your dream getting jump started!

Michael
XE 285  1205 (Myrtle)
Start: 8/1/2013
Finish: 5/24/2014
Arrived home: 10/11/2014

Agreed...I'm a bit disappointed in the lack of mosquito traffic as well. Owners, do your part, keep us followers engaged.
Hello Helifrek.

I just purchased my partially assembled kit from another individual.  Congratulations on your up coming retirement.  Thank you for your time in service!  I, too, will be retiring from my civilian job at the end of February - what a great feeling this is.

Hope to talk more as the builds, (yours and mine) progress.

Robert
"Pilots - Looking down on people since 1903"
(on a shirt my daughter gave me - author unknown)
Van's Aircraft RV-9 (dragon tail) Flying Phase 1
Nolen95,

Ask questions, inquire. Some owners along with Mike Messex, John Uptigrove, and Mark Thompson are willing to discuss questions you have. I agree not enough owners are chiming in, but don't let that stop you from seeking information or even asking questions about someone's build pictures. We are here to give support and get support. Let that be known!

Michael
XE 285  1205 (Myrtle)
Start: 8/1/2013
Finish: 5/24/2014
Arrived home: 10/11/2014

Welcome! I too, retired from the army, then went right back to work for them. The forums are a bit slow, but all the same folks are here to help. Perhaps we can see you at the fly-in next year? Hope to follow your building progress.
Dave
XE 285
glad to hear you guys are still around! I have been trying to figure out the best way to go about this whole process. I was expecting to be getting out of the Army and starting a small business back in my home town, sell my house, live on a small budget until the business grows but that has completely changed!

One of the big things I want to do is sell my house and move away from town so I can get some property I can fly from and put up a large workshop but I would also like to get started on the build asap! I could probably start the build in my garage where I currently live and put more focus on actually building the mosquito instead of the house and land. I think I will just have to play that by ear and see how it goes!

Also, I am trying to decide on whether I should work on getting a pilots license (maybe just a sport pilot license?) so that I can fly the XE model and carry more fuel. I am also a little overweight (225) so maybe the XE3 would be a better investment? (or maybe I should just shed some pounds). after getting a pilots license I could get some helicopter stick time logged so I can get the discount.

The other dilemma is should I just save save save and buy the entire kit to save some money or should I just start with the first kit and get the build underway? seems like a lot of tough decisions to try and make (and to convince the wife they are the right decisions!)

I would love to come to the fly-in next year, I told the wife I would take her to Disney Land next year (or is it Disney World in Florida?) so maybe I can schedule it around the fly-in. When is the fly-in and is there any other websites you guys would recommend me checking out? I have seen just about every video and read every webpage I can find on the mosquito. I would love to see some build logs but non of the pictures seem to work anymore.

Thanks again everyone!
Brandon (future mosquito pilot!)
Hi Brandon.

I started my RV-9 in a garage.  Actually one half of a two car garage because my wife would not give up her half.  In that garage I had the wings in a cradle, the fuselage on saw horses and a motorcycle parked in there also.  The RV is now in a hangar because even with both cars out - there's just not enough room.  However, I would be willing to bet a mosquito would fit in there through the entire build.  Watch out for the top of the door clearance, the Mosquito might be a bit TOO tall to get out after completion.  Since I already have a hangar, I will build mine there.  It's gonna be a few months be for I get started - wife says I gotta finish the RV first.

Buying the kit in stages will give you two benefits.  The first will be space - all of the parts in boxes will take up a lot of space.  The second benefit will be any modifications made to the kit will most likely be included in the latest sub kit and that will require less disassembly/reassembly.

The Pilot Certificate will be all up to you.  Regardless of any flight training you receive, helicopter training is a must.  I could go on and on about inherent instability in helicopters and why they are so different from planes that have inherent stability.

I have found the pictures in the "Builders Gallery" to be very good.  Is that where you tried to see some pics?

Robert
"Pilots - Looking down on people since 1903"
(on a shirt my daughter gave me - author unknown)
Van's Aircraft RV-9 (dragon tail) Flying Phase 1
Thanks for the reply Robert. I eventually did find the builders gallery, I think part of my problem was that I was browsing with my phone! I see your point about the storage space, that does make sense. I have been talking to my wife and she is on board with letting me use the garage (I think Smile ) Also my car goes in the garage..... so I am the one loosing out on that! I just had a remote start installed on her car (to butter her up of course). I will have to buy a storage shed to put the mower and rest of my junk in but that won't be an issue.

I definitely am going to get some professional helicopter training. I have been flying radio controlled helicopters for 20 years, I have a few hours on a jet ranger but that was just me having fun over the summer helping at a helicopter tour place, the pilot turned into a close family friend and I spent every day of summer over there. I have a few hours on a simulator as well (not Microsoft flight sim but one of those multi-million dollar military rigs!) So I do have a pretty good understanding of helicopter flight but I also know what overconfidence is and that it can be a killer.

I do have a question about the mosquito, does it mix the fuel on board with an oil reservoir or do you have to mix it up in a separate can and fill it up that way? it seems like this would make any sort of traveling pretty difficult.

I also see there are a ton of different options for avionics, I would like to keep it simple but I do want GPS. I also want as many sensors as I can get for cylinder temps, gearbox temps etc.... with an audible alarm if anything goes too high or low. what would you guys recommend.

On another note, I just found out that I am entitled to something similar to a severance package when i leave the Army! If I get the full amount it will pay for two thirds of the mosquito! Got me very excited to hear that today. The real question is should I tell the wife or not!
Hi Brandon,

Your last (rhetorical, I hope) question is the easiest to answer: tell your wife about the severance.  If possible, do it in such a way that she suggests using it to buy the kit. Wink  You don't want the Mosquito to be, in any way, a source of resentment.  This requires careful and constant monitoring.  Perhaps you've heard of AIDS (Aviation-Induced Divorce Syndrome)?

Mixing oil & fuel depends on the powerplant you get: the MZ202 requires that you measure and mix, just like a chainsaw.  The Inntec285 has mechanical oil injection, so all you do is keep both the fuel tank and oil tank filled.  The turbine basically uses the oil as fuel.  Smile   Given the power, fuel specifics, reliability, availability of parts, modern technology, and cost, there really is no better Mosquito engine than the Inntec285, imho.

The avionics you need depends on where you will be flying.  You live in some beautiful country, very close to my latitude.  Unfortunately, your employer has gobbled up huge chunks of airspace where we can't fly, even more where we really should not fly, and the rest of the region is covered by an Alert Area.  So you will be severely limited without a comm, but you can probably get by with a good hand-held and an external antenna.  You probably don't need a transponder (or soon, ADSB-out) as long as you don't want to fly around Nashville.  There are many good moving-map GPS apps available for your phone or tablet that will fit on the panel or your knee.

To fly in front of a 285 or a turbine you will need to have a Private Pilot certificate.  No, Sport Pilot doesn't count.  Despite what every FAA representative has insisted to me, you do NOT need a Rotorcraft/Helicopter rating to fly a Mosquito (see CFR61.31(l)(2)(iii)(B) for black-letter reg).  Your Mosquito will need a Special Airworthiness Certificate in the Experimental Category.

The Airworthiness Certificate is not a big deal but the Pilot certification is.  I think the best thing you can spend money on now is a Pilot Certificate with a Rotorcraft/Helicopter rating.  For starters, you'll learn an awful lot that will factor into your other decisions about the project.  For example, you probably will need GPS (given the airspace you'll be flying in) but you won't need a chip detector or governor.  Airspace/aerodrome issues may very likely factor into any decision to purchase land.

The good news about the Pilot Certificate is that you could get it in a hot-air balloon, as far as the regs are concerned.  That pretty much defines a "penny-wise and pound-foolish" decision.  At the bare minimum, you'll want to get the helicopter-solo signoff to get the kit discount.  But if you've gone that far, you may as well finish the job and get an honest-to-FAA Rotorcraft/Helicopter rating.  It makes it much easier to take recurrent training (which we all need, no matter what we fly), insurance is cheaper, and frankly, when you are sitting in your Mosquito running up the rotor for the first time, you're going to want to feel like "I've got this."

The annual Mosquito Factory Helicopter Rodeo is always the weekend before Sun-n-Fun, so next year it will be 1-2 April.  Hope to see you there, and if you have any other questions, just ask.
-Chip-
N8421L Mosquito XE-285