Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
where is everyone?
I have always heard - "It is easier to ask for forgiveness than it is to ask for permission". Having said that - I don't know 'cause I have always asked for permission, LOL. There are certain truths that we all must live by and keeping communications open between spouses is a critical point for keeping a happy marriage.

Then there's the saying - "Happy wife, happy life." Words to live by also. From "Transformers - Dark of the Moon"

I have my pilot certificate but plan on building our Mosquito as an XEL. I like the floats. I think they look good and add a special look to the entire machine. This is, however, my humble opinion. I actually fell for the Mosquito XEL when I saw the Thompson "Mad Mosquito" pictures and flight video. That is an awesome looking machine. I will document this build also so that, at a later date, I can register the XEL as an XE and put an "N" number on it also. I have 5 reserved - that's another story for another time.

So, when building an aircraft as experimental/home built with a special airworthiness certificate, there are the considerations of logging or documenting the build for the DAR inspection. Lots of pictures. As far as I know there isn't an amount that could be considered be too many but there is no set number for having too few either. They even want to see YOU in some of the pics. I have the RV documented, I have Technical Counselor inspection paperwork filled out, I have thousands of pictures, I have hundreds with me in them and I'm still building. I have been told that when the paperwork weighs as much as the plane itself, its ready for inspection.
"Pilots - Looking down on people since 1903"
(on a shirt my daughter gave me - author unknown)
Thank you guys for the replies! Gotta get ready for work tomorrow so I don't have a lot of time to respond but I will try to get as much out as I can before bed.

My wife is on board with me buying the mosquito, she has always been supportive of my endeavors. I really lucked out with her! She is fully aware of my separation pay that I will (hopefully) be receiving, she only asks that I be smart with the money and don't blow it all and leave us with nothing in the bank.

I have slowly come up with a plan but it is subject to change. Once I have the new job and separation pay secured I am going to go right into getting my pilots license and rotor wing endorsement. As soon as that is all done I am going to order Kit 1 and start my build. I am not 100% sure which power plant I want to go with, I want the 285 so i can have some extra power and now that I know of the oil injector I want it even more!

I am right with you swashplate, I fell in love with Eddy's Mosquito paint scheme and watched all of his youtube videos, it is such a shame what happened to him but at least he was doing what he loved. I know most builders probably have the hardest time with the colors but I am 95% sure I want bright yellow (mainly for high visibility) but black with tinted doors and windows would look really slick also. I just worry about having to make an emergency landing in the woods somewhere, no radio, no cell service and having a black helicopter that nobody can see!

Alright, it is bedtime! I will try to get back on here tomorrow and chat some more, thanks guys!
Interesting, so my Private Pilot Glider ticket is OK for an experimental Heli?
I hate trying to arrange for Bi-annuals though so I would still go the Ultralight route, with the Heli to solo training as well.

Just got rid of my mortgage yesterday so now the saving towards a Mosquito kit can begin in earnest.

On the light activity, I have noticed that every aviation forum I'm on has had the traffic lighten over the years.
Seems like its not attracting many new recruits as the entry, maintenance and sustainment of Hobby things is getting more difficult.
More expensive with less available time to enjoy.
Ray
Congratulations on the mortgagelessness. I have been without one since 2013 and its a great feeling. Now, 3 1/2 years later, I am retiring, and it just keeps getting better.

Robert
"Pilots - Looking down on people since 1903"
(on a shirt my daughter gave me - author unknown)