Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
skid vibration
I have been flying my ship 1004 the one painted like a flag almost every day. It fly's like a dream. The only issue is a good deal of skid vibration in level flight. Any suggestions to eliminate this?
Thanks Vic
I only weigh 150, had to add weight to the front. Installed lead in the front of the skids, vibration ceased. Now, the back still shakes a bit, don't know what to do about that. Good to hear your flying the flag!
Dave
XE285 driver
Thanks Dave. I will add some lead weight to the front of the skids. I need to add weight to the front anyway.
Vic
Dave
Do you think that shake in the back is coming from the tail rotor?

chuck

Vic
Do your skid tips shake in a hover or just in flight?
Mine are still in a hover but at 60 or 70 mph they do shake a little.

chuck
(11-16-2016, 09:49 PM)IChuck308 Wrote: Dave
Do you think that shake in the back is coming from the tail rotor?

chuck

Vic
Do your skid tips shake in a hover or just in flight?
Mine are still in a hover but at 60 or 70 mph they do shake a little.

chuck

No, I don't think so.  The tail rotor is balanced, and I can detect no tail shake or buzzing at all.  The 285 runs a bit different than my old 301, perhaps it's the nature of the beast.  I noticed in videos others with the same characteristic.
Dave
I guess it's just a 285 thing
Hi Vic.

I had the same vibration when I owned Betty, I was told by the factory it was a W/B thing or else I would have mentioned it to you, I know I was about 4 pounds light in the nose.
I hope you are enjoying her as much as I did.
richard
Using an electronic balancer to fine tune the rotor and then setting the balance to 1.5 deg nose down should get the vibes down as much as possible. Putting some weight in the skid tips will help with the nose down and also reduce their shake.