Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Air vs other Models rotor size
I noticed that all the Mosquito Models have a 19.4' rotor diameter except for the Air which is 18'.

I was wondering what the reason is, and what impact this has on performance and auto-rotation?

I did read an old thread from HawkIP on rotor speed vs diameter, which does help understand some of the interactions but is not specific about the Mosquito.

My thoughts are that since the Air is lighter it just did not need the extra lift from the increased diameter and I'm thinking that it would be turning the main rotor blades at the same rpm as the others?

Perhaps shorter rotor diameter makes it more nimble as well?
Ray
When I first designed the Air it was created to have a rotor diameter to meet the requirements of the gross weight with the given power.  When we created the XE airframe I needed to increase the rotor diameter to provide the extra lift from the same amount of power.   I left the Air rotor diameter as it was since increasing its size increased the empty weight of the Air which is right on the edge of US 103 ultralight weight.
(12-21-2016, 04:31 PM)mosquito Wrote: When I first designed the Air it was created to have a rotor diameter to meet the requirements of the gross weight with the given power.  When we created the XE airframe I needed to increase the rotor diameter to provide the extra lift from the same amount of power.   I left the Air rotor diameter as it was since increasing its size increased the empty weight of the Air which is right on the edge of US 103 ultralight weight.

Ahaa, true every pound counts as you are right at the weight border line, makes sense now.

Does the rotor turn at the same rpm as the others or is there a difference in the reduction drive gearing or anywhere else? 

I'm wondering what part of its engine/rotor speed range it generally hovers at?
Ray