Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2017 Factory Fly-In
Ok Guys,

With the end of the year just around the corner my mind starts to think about the Factory Fly-In
in Trenton! To some of you I may be jumping the gun but I have found that if I plan early, my
plan always seems to work out. I am sure John is about to post dates and information about it soon.
I have just started to look up airfares but have not ruled out driving (1,700 miles each way).

My first fly-in was 2009 as I wanted to just see this little heli and see what all the buzz was
about. I met another guy on the Forum and we ended up making plans on meeting and
splitting the cost of a room in Chiefland. My next on was 2012 after I moved back to the
Mainland and two months later I put down my deposit for "Myrtle" my 285. Unfortunately I 
will not be bringing her along on this trip. It will be great to see the old friends I made there
and meet new owners and other folks that are coming to get information and their first glimpse
of this neat machine.

If you haven't been to a factory fly-in, start planning now! There is a wealth of information to be had 
and some of the greatest folks that you will ever meet will be happy to answer questions. My thinking
is it will be held March 31st through April 2nd (usually the weekend before Sun n Fun).

Let's start this year off with the anticipation of a fantastic Factory Fly-In. Chime in and tell us if you
are planning on going, how you are getting there, and where you are planning on staying.
This is a perfect way meet like-minded rotor-heads and possibly cut expenses!

Time to get excited!

Michael
XE 285  1205 (Myrtle)
Start: 8/1/2013
Finish: 5/24/2014
Arrived home: 10/11/2014

Well since we all are fired up about the fly-in I want to put out feelers to see if
anyone wants to share the cost of a hotel room and maybe a car. I am planning
on staying in Chiefland from 3/31-4/3 if I find takers by this Sunday 1/8/17. If I don't
find any takers I plan on driving to Trenton and staying in my truck, alleviating the
need for a room, car, and airplane ticket.  I would prefer to avoid four days of driving!

Let me know if any of you would like to jump in and share expenses.

Michael
XE 285  1205 (Myrtle)

Well then, let me be the first to chime in and say....... I'm just not sure right now.  I would like to go but other family obligations may cause a conflict.

Robert
"Pilots - Looking down on people since 1903"
(author unknown)
Photo 
It is Official!

XE 285  1205 (Myrtle)

1 person indicating interest in going to the Mosquito Fly-in is rather dismal.

Do most folks just show up or is there another thread of "Who's going"?

Having to make a trip to the fly-in from the West Coast with the airline, car and hotel costs is a rather bigger deal so I want to make sure its worth it before I commit to going.

I really want to see a Mosquito up close, sit in it to check for fit, see one flying and hear what owners and the factory are talking about.

Perhaps next year might be a better choice as I could start planning it earlier and roll in some other events/activities while there like flight training?
Ray
jb92563,

I understand what you are saying. I am the only person that posted to this thread. The west coast is a long way to go trusting just me. But as you know this is not the only site for Mosquito information. The FB page "Mosquito Aviation" also has people that are going to attend. But based on what you said you wanted, "I really want to see a Mosquito up close, sit in it to check for fit, see one flying and hear what owners and the factory are talking about." I can promise you that you will sit in one to check the fit, hear either myself an owner, John Uptigrove the Designer, Dwight Junkin the Factory owner, Mike Messex the Field Mechanical Rep., Paul an owner, Cam an XE & Rotorway owner, Leo an ex-XEL owner, Dave Rains a 285 owner, Andy Lum an ex- XEL owner, and I know of at least five more folks that are coming. 

I wish more people would post and I will admit I am a cheerleader for this aircraft but it is up to you. Try looking at YouTube videos from the past fly-ins. I myself posted one from 2009. Also check out the second one I attended in 2012. That was a great time! If you don't make it I will be posting some video when I get back. I also want to take more training doing autos in an R-22. I love helis and will be there!!!

Have fun,

Michael
XE 285  1205 (Myrtle)

Alrighty then, INK me "IN" on this one.  Hotel reservations made. 

I'm hoping that I can meet John Uptigrove and thank him for what he got started all he has done and to also say thank you to Dwight and his crew for doing all that they have done.

Oh, and I am going to take lots of pictures and ask lots of questions.

Robert
"Pilots - Looking down on people since 1903"
(author unknown)
Thanks for the reply. I didn't know about the FB group so I'll join that as well.

Thinking hard about making the 2017 flyin.
Ray
The fly-in should be great this year! Sounds like they have quite a few other choppers showing up as well. Great to learn from the guys at the factory and the pilots that show up!
Annual Mosquito Helicopter Fly in
1-2 April 2017
9069 SE County Rd 319
Trenton, FL 32693

Latitude N 29 36.402
Longitude W 82 48.286
Closest Airports:
Gainesville (GNV) commercial carriers
Cross City (CTY)

Transportation
Make your own arrangements there is no scheduled shuttle service, friends are good to know.

Rental Car
Gainesville Airport

Accommodations
There are no rooms available on site so if you plan on staying onsite bring a tent or mobile home. If you plan on camping there are no showers and sinks are scarce however there is a hose. Think rustic and roughing it.

There are a number of hotel/motels in Chiefland, Fanning Springs and in Newberry a quick check of the internet see below listing – the big however is – don’t know if all info is current and the quality of the rooms range from the primitive it’s a bed and shower and you don’t want to walk on the carpet to it’s a chain and presentable.

Chiefland
Best Western Suwannee Valley Inn
1125 North Young Boulevard, Chiefland FL
(352) 493-0663

Days Inn Chiefland
809 NW 21st Ave, Chiefland FL
(352) 493-9400 ‎ · daysinn.com

Holiday Inn Express Chiefland
809 Northwest 21 Avenue, Chiefland FL
(352) 493-9400 ‎

Manatee Springs Motel
2226 North Young Boulevard, Chiefland FL
(352) 493-2991

Fanning Springs Park Inn
17850 NW Us Highway 19, Fanning Springs FL
(352) 463-2069 ‎

Cadillac Motel
7490 N US Highway 19, Fanning Springs FL
(352) 463-2188 ‎

Suwannee River Motel
17210 NW Us Highway 19, Fanning Springs FL
(352) 463-7563 ‎
A hunters lodge - don’t expect much and you won’t be disappointed; about 20 bucks a night

Crystal Inn-Fanning Springs
16951 NW Us Highway 19, Fanning Springs FL
(352) 463-7214 ‎

Newberry
Sunny South Motel‎
105 SW 250th St
Newberry, FL 32669 (352) 472-2401

Sanitation
Porta-Potties scattered around the area. There is a septic system supporting the hangar but it clogs easy and CAN NOT support a lot of use so use the porta potties.

Food
Coordination is underway for a caterer for munchies and drinks during the day. There are also plans for dinner on site both Sat and Sunday. Pay upon registration, fill the bucket full of money to offset the expense and help out. It’s a first come first serve if your late may only be left overs. In town there is a Subway, a Burger Spot, McDonald’s, Chinese Take Out, and several sit-down venues along with Hitchcock’s Grocery store. Hitchcock’s serves deli bar type food and there are also a couple sit down restaurants Hobo’s and one across the street. Anything else is bring it or travel to Newberry, Chiefland or Fanning Springs.
General Information

Safety Operations
Formal designation of responsibilities will happen the day of the event.

Air Operations
See the Air Operations Annex. There will be pilots briefing conducted each morning 0900 (ish).

Maintenance Operation
Mike Messex (marcher07@bellsouth.net)

Scheduled Maintenance
If you are planning on bringing a Mosquito that you want maintenance done on call Mike phone 256-527-4656 and coordinate the desires so he can schedule resources, times, people, and parts

Unscheduled Maintenance:
We’ll do what we can to keep you flying

Fuel and Oil
There is a gas station about a mile away, oil if you’re in a pinch, there is oil earmarked for use and available – prepare to pitch in to cover costs

Grounds and Onsite
The “Mayor” responsibilities will fall under Norbert Richter office@composite-fx.com

Sign in
When you get there Sign in at hangar on the white board, if you are an owner or builder of a mosquito add your name and aircraft serial number. If you plan on flying sign the liability release form at sign in.

Parking
Aircraft
Parking overnight will be in the second (new) hangar. Hangar one will be for maintenance operations. The maintenance run up and departure pad will be behind hangar one. Flight departures will be across the street in the North Field

Campers and Trailers
RVs and Trailers park in a row, back in to the area (See the map below on locations, those familiar with the grounds – keep the area in front of the office clear)
Campers have to be self-contained electrical and sewage – if in doubt check with Norbert. Basically don’t clog up the exit roads or in front of the hangars

Vehicle Parking and small trailers
Will be in the North end of Eddy’s Field or across the street in the North Field

Tent Camping
Will be between hangar 1 and hangar 2 towards the grain silos

T shirts and such
Robin, Dwights wife, will have a limited quantity of shirts for sale

Emergency Medical and Fire
Nothing scheduled to be onsite and will be provided by the local volunteer by way of 911
Flight Operations

The following rules are established for the orderly and predictable operation of all aircraft attending the Mosquito Factory Fly in.
Safety

Safety is the insurance of continued enjoyment for all who attend and participate at the fly in therefore the rules of operation are established for the safe operation of all aircraft and shall be observed for the duration of the event. It is the responsibility of all attending and participating pilots to operate by these rules.
Emergencies

Emergencies or potential emergencies are an acceptable reason to deviate from any or all of the established rules to the extent required as judged by the pilot for the best possible outcome.

Pilot Responsibilities
All pilots are responsible for the safe operation of their aircraft while attending the Mosquito factory fly in. This event is being conducted on private property without implementing positive control over the airspace. However, since it is private property the Air Boss has the authority to stop any and /or all operations as necessary.
Communications

Due to the fact that some of the attending aircraft are not equipped with communications radios these rules are established to ensure the maximum situational awareness and predictable operation of aircraft for all participants. The use of two way radio communication although not mandatory may be used to enhance situational awareness but will not negate adherence to any of the established rules. 123.025 will be the CTAF frequency for the fly in. When making traffic calls make your calls to “Trenton Traffic” This is a common helicopter air to air frequency so you may hear other traffic transiting near the area.
Rules of Operation

1. All aircraft must approach the active runway area at a right angle in relation to the centerline when crossing or entering or exiting. Prior to crossing or entering the active the pilot will make a visual check for other aircraft. All aircraft must slow to a fast walking pace before leaving the active runway area once again visually checking for other traffic.
2. All aircraft must remain at or below a fast walking pace when operating in the hover area south of the runway on the north field and in the northwest corner of Eddy Thompson Field.
3. Arrivals/departures and multiple closed traffic patterns must originate and terminate over the active runway. This means that no pilot may make a departure or arrival from anywhere other than the active.
4. Extended Hovering on the active is prohibited. Hovering on the active should be limited to positioning for takeoff, departing the active after approach or transiting from one hover area to another.
5. There are four Hover areas but the Hover/Fly area north of the runway is the only area that may be used for Maneuvering and high speed flight. While maneuvering in the north hover area pilots shall limit their altitude to go no higher than the surrounding trees or obstacles in order to stay below the traffic pattern.
6. All helicopters will yield to the Training helicopter(s) and/or the helicopter giving rides. Keep a safe distance from the training helicopters since the instructor(s) will be trying to concentrate on teaching their students.
7. Formation flights will only be conducted after a briefing is conducted between all of the formation participants prior to each formation flight. If you did not attend a formal formation briefing between all the participants of the formation flight then do not attempt to join the formation while in flight.
8. Before flying all pilots will receive a daily flight update briefing from the Air Boss either in a group at the morning pilot’s brief or one on one if attendance at the pilot’s brief is not possible. No one has permission to fly until they receive the daily brief so make sure you get briefed before you fly! The pilot’s brief is tentatively scheduled for 9:00 AM each day of the fly in.
9. The Air Boss can and will make additional rules and or revisions as need throughout the fly in. If you have any good ideas or see any potentially unsafe factors please report your findings to the Air Boss so we can address the issues and implement changes.

Transient Aircraft
Any aircraft that will be flying into the fly in must call and or email the Air Boss so that parking can be coordinated for your arrival and so that you can be briefed. If you send an email you will need to include your name, type and color of aircraft, tail number (unless you are an ultralight), phone number and approximate time of your arrival. The email must be followed up with a phone call at some point to confirm your arrival or cancellation preferably the day of your arrival or the day before. Try to make one last confirmatory phone call just before you depart for the fly in to give an updated estimated time of arrival.

The Factory field is at: N 29 36.40 W 82 48.28 and elevation is 58’. If you have a radio make your calls to: “Mosquito Air Boss” on VHF 123.025. Once you are over the field make a high orbit and look for a ground guide in the vicinity of the runway to show you to your parking place. Remember that other aircraft flying in the vicinity may be participating without a radio so see and avoid rules are in effect.
Hazards to Flight

Immediate hazards to flight include but are not limited to a 322’ tower approximately 2/3 of a mile north of the active and multiple private/General Aviation airports within 20 miles. Keep a vigilant watch for aircraft operating at low altitudes and birds. This is the South where birds migrate to in the winter.
Traffic Pattern

Upon arrival please familiarize yourself with the traffic pattern picture.

Question call Mike 256-527-4656 or email marcher07@bellsouth,net