Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
About Mosquito XE fuel tank spill oil
Photo 
Dear John:
  Merry christmas!
      our company bought the Mosquito XE kit with you ,After assembly ,the Mosquito XE fuel tank is always spill oil. May I ask why this is? Have you ever had this problem before?

Looking forward to your reply, thank you!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

I'm sorry to see that Angel.  Please contact Dwight in Florida at 352-538-1624 on the best way to seal your tank leak.  Make sure you are not using ethanol in your fuel.
Ethanol has caused some very small leaks in mine as well. Ethanol free fuel has just become available in my area, I am now using that. I installed a fuel drain cock and don't leave fuel sitting in the tank any longer. Will re-seal next summer during warmer weather.
Dave
Hi John:
Happy new year.
Thanks for you reply.
We'll call Dwight later for Mosquito XE fuel tanks leak.
Now there are 2 questions:
1 tachometer power but not displayed(see attachment)
2 the helicopter starts but the engine vibration causes the instrument to unclear。
Looking forward to your answer.

Hi John:
Happy new year.
   Thanks for you reply.
  We'll call Dwight  later for Mosquito XE fuel tanks leak. 
 Now there are 2 questions:
1 tachometer power but not displayed(see attachment)
2 the helicopter starts but the engine vibration causes the instrument to unclear。

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(12-26-2016, 08:36 AM)8angel xiao Wrote: Dear John:
  Merry christmas!
      our company bought the Mosquito XE kit with you ,After assembly ,the Mosquito XE fuel tank is always spill oil. May I ask why this is? Have you ever had this problem before?

Looking forward to your reply, thank you!
Angel Xiao,

i have the same problème; i sorry because i dont speak englich very well. Can you find a people for translate my comment.

propriétaire d'un XE285,  J'ai eu le même problème avec plusieurs petites fuites au réservoir, voici comment j'ai réparé ces fuites:

1- vider, débrancher les tuyaux et nettoyer le réservoir avec un solvant non gras(acetone)
2- refermer le réservoir et obturer tous les orifices (aspiration, mise a l'air...) sauf une
3-metre le réservoir en pression, je l'ai fait à la bouche en soufflant par la mise a l'air libre, ne pas utiliser de compresseur
4 -avec un détecteur de fuite (milles bules ou savons et eau) localiser exactement la fuite
5- enlever le/les rivets, peinture et nettoyer la zone de fuite au solvant (acetone) et bien laisser sécher.(j'ai laissé sécher 48h afin de ne plus avoir de trace de solvant)

acheter de la résine EPOXI qui résiste au hydrocarbures (essence, gazole, kérosène)
MA1820AA2
Résine époxy HT résistante aux hydrocarbures. - Conditionnement : 260g.  19,90 €

6- préparer 10ml de résine
7- avec un aspirateur, mettre le réservoir en dépression (j'ai aspiré par la mise à l'air libre),  et par l’extérieur, appliquer la résine pour qu'elle soit aspiré vers l’intérieur du réservoir puis arrêter l'aspiration en continuant de mettre de la résine. 
Remettre le/les rivets (je conseille de mettre une rondelle a l'arrière du rivet)

Pour améliorer la fluidité de la résine, je l'ai fait chauffer à environ 35°c , j'ai aussi chauffer la zone de fuite (30 à 35°c) avant d'appliquer la résine.

8- laisser polymériser durant 24H à une bonne température (supérieur à 15°, plus la température est élevée, plus la polymérisation sera rapide mais ne pas surchauffer: idéalement: entre 25 et 30°c)

enfin, remettre en pression le réservoir et vérifier avec le détecteur de fuite.

je conseille de faire le tour du réservoir avec le détecteur de fuite pour s'assurer de l'absence d'autres micro fuite.

pour info: j'ai fais cette procédure plusieurs fois avant d’être étanche à 100% parce qu’une fuite en cache une autre plus petite ailleurs.

je pense que nous serons toujours embêter avec des fuites au réservoir du fait qu'il est structurale, je travaille donc à la fabrication d'un réservoir souple

cordialement
Guillaume-M
Here is the translation-----

Owner of an XE285, I had the same problem with several small leaks at the tank, here is how I repaired these leaks:

1- Empty, disconnect hoses and clean tank with non-greasy solvent (acetone)
2- close the tank and seal all the orifices (suction, venting ...) except one
3-meter tank pressure, I made it to the mouth by blowing by venting, do not use compressor
4 - with a leak detector (miles bules or soaps and water) locate exactly the leak
5- Remove the rivet (s), paint and clean the leakage area with the solvent (acetone) and allow to dry well (I left to dry for 48 hours so as to have no trace of solvent)

Buy EPOXI resin that is resistant to hydrocarbons (petrol, diesel, kerosene)
MA1820AA2
Hydrocarbon resistant epoxy resin. - Packaging: 260g. 19,90 €

6- prepare 10 ml of resin
7- With a vacuum cleaner, put the reservoir under vacuum (I aspirated by the venting), and from outside, apply the resin so that it is aspirated towards the inside of the tank and then stop l Aspiration by continuing to put resin.
Replace the rivets (I recommend putting a washer at the back of the rivet)

To improve the fluidity of the resin, I heated it to about 35 ° C, I also heat the leakage zone (30 to 35 ° C) before applying the resin.

8- Let polymerize for 24 hours at a good temperature (higher than 15 °, the higher the temperature, the faster the polymerization but not to overheat: ideally: between 25 and 30 ° c)

Finally, pressurize the tank and check with the leak detector.

I advise to go around the tank with the leak detector to ensure the absence of other micro leakage.

For info: I have done this procedure several times before being 100% waterproof because one leak caches another smaller one elsewhere.

I think we will always bother with tank leaks because it is structural, so I work at making a flexible tank

cordially
Guillaume-M
Interesting. I have a small leak at the very bottom of the tank rivet line. Was going to use a different method, but this has me thinking a bit. I won't be using epoxy though, going to try a flexible tank sealant for aircraft I've had good luck with in the past.
Dave
I have used this tank sealant specifically for its added Ethanol resistance.

It worked perfectly the first time on an aluminum tank, with a leaky weld seam, I had in another aircraft and I can vouch for at least 5 years duration of the fix but have since sold the aircraft.

http://www.caswellplating.com/epoxy-gas-...ealer.html   for $28.
(02-06-2017, 02:12 AM)Dave R. Wrote: Interesting.  I have a small leak at the very bottom of the tank rivet line.  Was going to use a different method, but this has me thinking a bit.  I won't be using epoxy though, going to try a flexible tank sealant for aircraft I've had good luck with in the past.  
Dave

Dave R,

j'ai testé le PR pour réservoir mais je déconseille fortement car cela n’adhère pas correctement sur le composite contrairement a l'aluminium.
une fois polymérisé, j'ai réussi à l'enlever comme une peau de pomme de terre.
Il y a trop de risque de décollement, je n'ai pas pris le risque, crainte que cela bouche les prises carburant.
cordialement
Guillaume
(02-26-2017, 10:19 AM)guillaume_m Wrote:
(02-06-2017, 02:12 AM)Dave R. Wrote: Interesting.  I have a small leak at the very bottom of the tank rivet line.  Was going to use a different method, but this has me thinking a bit.  I won't be using epoxy though, going to try a flexible tank sealant for aircraft I've had good luck with in the past.  
Dave

Dave R,

j'ai testé le PR pour réservoir mais je déconseille fortement car cela n’adhère pas correctement sur le composite contrairement a l'aluminium.
une fois polymérisé, j'ai réussi à l'enlever comme une peau de pomme de terre.
Il y a trop de risque de décollement, je n'ai pas pris le risque, crainte que cela bouche les prises carburant.
cordialement
Guillaume

TRANSLATION---

I tested the PR for tank but I strongly advise because it does not adhere properly to the composite unlike aluminum.
Once cured, I managed to remove it like a potato skin.
There is too much risk of detachment, I have not taken the risk, fear that this plugs the fuel intake.
cordially
Guillaume