Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New member seeks info.
I've been looking at the Mosquito and reading the posts here and am interested in building one.
I'm a fixed wing private pilot with about 2000 hrs. But haven't been active in the last 8 years. Recently retired. My last airplane was an RV-6 that I build.
I like the idea of an ultralight version possibly the Air. I flew ultralights in the 80's.

A few questions.
About how many of them are currently flying?
Does anybody know of any near Sacramento, CA?
How many hour does it typically take to build one?
Are there any dealers on the west coast?
Do they get flown a lot? What would be considered high time in the current Mosquito fleet?
What price range might I be looking at for a used one?
As far as used ones are there any things I should avoid? For example, engines that didn't work out so well.
Are there any other forum with good info on the Mosquitoes.
I can't answer any of your questions but the last one. This IS, by far, the best place to obtain any and all information about the line of Mosquito helicopters.

As for me, I am going with the XEL. That is the model suggested to me by Dwight because I am a zero time heli pilot. Talk to Dwight about the specifics and whY he recommended the XE/XEL.

Robert.
From the Mid-Atlantic East Coast.....
There's no sensation to compare to this,
suspended animation, a state of bliss.
(Learning to Fly - Pink Floyd)
Hmm. Over 90 view and four days and still no answers to any of my questions.
Except "This IS, by far, the best place to obtain any and all information about the line of Mosquito helicopters."
Wow. Very discouraging.
(01-16-2017, 06:34 PM)akabud Wrote: Hmm. Over 90 view and four days and still no answers to any of my questions.
Except "This IS, by far, the best place to obtain any and all information about the line of Mosquito helicopters."
Wow. Very discouraging.

I am not the most qualified to answer but anyway let's try to give you some answers...

About 400 around the world
I am from belgium...
400hrs
I am from Belgium...sorry
Do they get flown a lot? What would be considered high time in the current Mosquito fleet?
I think some have more than 200 hrs
$30.000-$60.000 depending of the model and the numbers of hours
As far as used ones are there any things I should avoid? For example, engines that didn't work out so well.
The new 285 is pretty good as i heard...
Google can help you but normaly it is here the best place... 

Now if you want more infos, you should call Mosquito directly...
(01-12-2017, 10:43 PM)akabud Wrote: I've been looking at the Mosquito and reading the posts here and am interested in building one.
I'm a fixed wing private pilot with about 2000 hrs. But haven't been active in the last 8 years. Recently retired. My last airplane was an RV-6 that I build.
I like the idea of an ultralight version possibly the Air. I flew ultralights in the 80's.

A few questions.

There are about 400+ Mosquitos sold

Mosquito Map  Shows a small number of that total, but there are a few up your way.
If you build one I might be comming to visit Smile

Seems like 3-6 months for the eager, 9 -12 months if are doing a more leisurely weekend pace.

The used ones run from 36K-46K depending on what options like glass panel, governor, fancy paint, trailer, etc

Avoid damaged ones, those without maintenance records and those that have not been factory inspected. 

I would not buy one without getting the thumbs up from the factory first. Your life hangs in the balance so be extra diligent as Heli's are rather unforgiving of serious problems.

This is the best and perhaps only forum and though not terribly active there will always be someone to answer your questions eventually.

Also, dont be put off by the low forum activity. People with 40k to spend on a hobby are usually busy folks and doers more that forum geeks and don't necessarily spend a lot of time yaking online when they could be at the hanger talking to flying buddies, working or going flying.

PS: Also want a Mosquito but I have to sell a Grob 109 first.
(01-12-2017, 10:43 PM). Wrote: I apologize for missing your post earlier.   I have addressed your questions below.  Most customers just contact me directly at mosquito@innovatortech.ca

A few questions.

We have sold 404 currently so I would estimate around 350 are flying

I will look through the customer list or you can check the customer map and see there.

3 weeks is the fastest I know of.  We usually say 300 hours not including body work and paint (not required for the Air model)

Used to be but I let them go for various reasons.  Looking for one.

350 hours.  Average pilot flies 25 hours a year or so.

Typically about the same as a new kit.

I'm not the guy to comment on this.  The engine in the XE285 is a good option but is not ultralight.

The rotary forum sometimes has discussions on the Mosquito.  I don't follow it myself though.
Wow. It seems like my second post caused an awakening.
Three informative posts an a couple of PM's.
Thanks for the info folks.
They sure do look like a blast. I leaning toward the XEL.
I currently fly RC helicopters but I know that skill doesn't translate to the real thing.
I had the opportunity to fly a helicopter simulator recently. That gave me some idea of what it will take to learn.
So I have to look into the cost of training and factor that into my decision.
(01-17-2017, 07:55 PM)akabud Wrote: Wow. It seems like my second post caused an awakening.
I currently fly RC helicopters but I know that skill doesn't translate to the real thing.
I had the opportunity to fly a helicopter simulator recently. That gave me some idea of what it will take to learn.

You should probably take a flight/lesson to see if you even like the experience first.

One Mosquito owner found that he could not advance past a low hover due to height and motion fear issues.
He ended up selling his Mosquito I think.  Quite unfortunate as its a big investment in time and money.

You will need about $2000+ dollars of training to the hover stage in a R22 or similar.  That should make you safe enough to learn the Mosquito on your own, although more training is better.

The rotor part of the kit is offered at a $2000 discount still I believe, if you can show training to the hover stage so it works out if you want to build the kit. Should also factor in have a factory Rep inspecting the kit if you build yourself as a safety check and to ensure the best possible outcome.
(01-17-2017, 07:55 PM)akabud Wrote: Wow. It seems like my second post caused an awakening.

It's just the begining of the year,... the engine is cold and has to be restart slowly... ;-)

I also came from rc helicopters. The two main differences between real and rc helicopters are :

1st, about the tail rotor... In rc helicopters, any application of collective is electronically compensated, we just use it to change direction. In real helicopter, we have to use it for direction and to compensate the torque induced by each collective application...

2nd, your life depends of your skill as soon as your are flying...

But for me in general, the rc helis are more difficult to learn as you are note always looking at the right direction as you do when inboard. And with the 3D infinite possibilities we have now and the power you can get on the top of your fingers it is really a stressing and very difficult exercise of the mind... but very good for mind focusing exercises so for real helicopter training as well.

:-)
akabud
If your looking at a air or xe model check with Doug Bryant they do some with 65 hp Hirth engines.
I have been very happy with mine on my XE and no piston change at 50 hours.

chuck