Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New member seeks info.
Being a heli rc pilot is a big advantage when learning to fly the real thing.  You're already trained for the right reactions and movements, you just have to transfer them from your thumbs to your arms.   Flying the real thing is also easier than RC since you have motion feedback instead of just visual.  You are also always facing the right direction.  It boggles my mind that rc pilots can fly the same when the machine is coming at them or going sideways.  I'm going to have to learn some day.

Just a suggestion folks, since this forum doesn't have a place where we are supposed to put our names during signup (which I find very odd), how about we put our names at the bottom of our posts, at least occasionally, so we get to know who we are talking to?

John
(01-17-2017, 11:37 PM)Chuck308 Wrote: akabud
If your looking at a air or xe model check with Doug Bryant they do some with 65 hp Hirth engines.
I have been very happy with mine on my XE and no piston change at 50 hours.

chuck

Interesting. I didn't know that other engines have been tried. 
Are the Hirths fuel injected?

I'm wondering what are the advantages of the Hirth engine setup?

Anything to improve reliability and longer service life before overhaul is a plus fore sure.

In other applications I've heard mixed reviews with Hirth and seems folks either love of hate them, but I suspect its all about the proper setup and operation.

Ray
After doing some research on the Hirth engine I feel it was the best engine for me.
The distributor is in Ohio, Rec Power the guy to talk to is Matt he has been very helpful. The engine does come with a real warranty.
I had a CDI go out in flight and did not know it until I was cooling  down the engine and checked the CDIs. I called Rec power they shipped 
one the next day at no charge, that 's good service. Go to the Hirth site and check it out, I would tell you all kinds of tech stuff about the engine
but I 'm not a 2 stroke guy. for a lot more info check with Doug B or John U for details.

Chuck
(01-18-2017, 03:05 PM)mosquito Wrote: Being a heli rc pilot is a big advantage when learning to fly the real thing.  You're already trained for the right reactions and movements, you just have to transfer them from your thumbs to your arms.   Flying the real thing is also easier than RC since you have motion feedback instead of just visual.  You are also always facing the right direction.  It boggles my mind that rc pilots can fly the same when the machine is coming at them or going sideways.  I'm going to have to learn some day.

Just a suggestion folks, since this form doesn't have a place where we are supposed to put our names during signup (which I find very odd), how about we put our names at the bottom of our posts, at least occasionally, so we get to know who we are talking to?

John

Good idee John !
Fred Moreau
(01-18-2017, 11:27 PM)Chuck308 Wrote: After doing some research on the Hirth engine I feel it was the best engine for me.
The distributor is in Ohio, Rec Power the guy to talk to is Matt he has been very helpful. The engine does come with a real warranty.
I had a CDI go out in flight and did not know it until I was cooling  down the engine and checked the CDIs. I called Rec power they shipped 
one the next day at no charge, that 's good service. Go to the Hirth site and check it out, I would tell you all kinds of tech stuff about the engine
but I 'm not a 2 stroke guy. for a lot more info check with Doug B or John U for details.

Chuck

I took a look, thats a nice engine.  Dual CDI ignition, dual carb fuel injection, Nikasil cylinders, awesome and the performance specs are virtually identical between the Hirth 3203 and the MZ202 so it seems like a good option, perhaps even better than the MZ202.

Was there much work/expense to retrofit the new engine into the existing Mosquito driveline?

Ray
no extra work, you use the 285 mounts and a few bushings.
the engine is not fuel injected mod #3203 the extra parts come from Doug Bryant

chuck
(01-17-2017, 09:23 PM)Frederic Moreau Wrote:
(01-17-2017, 07:55 PM)akabud Wrote: Wow. It seems like my second post caused an awakening.
Three informative posts an a couple of PM's.
Thanks for the info folks.
They sure do look like a blast. I leaning toward the XEL.
I currently fly RC helicopters but I know that skill doesn't translate to the real thing.
I had the opportunity to fly a helicopter simulator recently. That gave me some idea of what it will take to learn.
So I have to look into the cost of training and factor that into my decision.

It's just the begining of the year,... the engine is cold and has to be restart slowly... ;-)

I also came from rc helicopters. The two main differences between real and rc helicopters are :

1st, about the tail rotor... In rc helicopters, any application of collective is electronically compensated, we just use it to change direction. In real helicopter, we have to use it for direction and to compensate the torque induced by each collective application...

2nd, your life depends of your skill as soon as your are flying...

But for me in general, the rc helis are more difficult to learn as you are note always looking at the right direction as you do when inboard. And with the 3D infinite possibilities we have now and the power you can get on the top of your fingers it is really a stressing and very difficult exercise of the mind... but very good for mind focusing exercises so for real helicopter training as well.

:-)

Exemple ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPrdGBlWPGw
Oh yea. All of those maneuvers will be so easy in an XEL. LOL!

I also fly RC helis (along with fixed wing). I like the helis better because helis can do everything a fixed wing can do PLUS they can do it all flying backwards. Some pilots, I will repeat - SOME pilots, can do all of those super 3D maneuvers but not me.
From the Mid-Atlantic East Coast.....
There's no sensation to compare to this,
suspended animation, a state of bliss.
(Learning to Fly - Pink Floyd)
I also flew a bit of RC Heli's and now that you mention it, I wonder if a heading lock gyro work work on a Mosquito?

By the looks of the flying I have seen its completely unnecessary due to the excellent precise control that the Mosquito is capable of, plus learning that precise control is all part of the fun adventure.

Probably the only thing the Mosquito could benefit from is a Governor which of course is already available.

After doing some more research on the Hirth vs MZ202 i''ve come to the conclusion that the MZ202 seems like a slightly better choice. If one or the other had fuel injection at a reasonable cost it would likely be a clear winner.

Perhaps with time the MZ202 cylinders/pistons can be improved to increase the service interval and now that the factory Jetting issue has been solved there are fewer unknowns.

As an experimental you also have to consider the hours of use for each and its track record as deviating from proven installs puts you in a higher risk test pilot zone and helicopters are not very forgiving of failures if not caught early.