Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
All hands occupied.
I'm sending my transponder off for repair, to Australia. I live under a class C, so I'm well aware of the need to change frequencies, I pick up ATIS before I take off, then I only need approach and tower on the flip flop. My shoulder straps are adjusted for flight rather snug, can't reach the panel like that. Are you really able to change frequencies in flight without using cyclic switches? Damn, your good! Weather is looking good for a early morning flight. Now, to figure out how to post a photo in the forums.
Dave

Okay, I surrender. Was going to post photos of my McCutchen Tracking Lights, but I still can't beat this web site into submission.
Dave
Dave, 

Load it onto YouTube then just copy and past the location in your post, that will work.

Michael
XE 285  1205 (Myrtle)
Start: 8/1/2013
Finish: 5/24/2014
Arrived home: 10/11/2014

I've never been a big fan of flight aids that fix flight controls in place. Since most of our pilots are relatively low time recreational pilots I think its best that we keep our concentration on flying for the relatively short time we are up there. Taking pictures or releasing the collective for any other reason while flying with a locked collective means that if you ever do have an emergency situation, the automatic response of dropping the collective now becomes dropping the camera (or whatever), finding the collective and dropping it while overriding the lock. Lots to do in the short time we're allowed to do it.
(02-19-2017, 05:49 PM)mosquito Wrote: I've never been a big fan of flight aids that fix flight controls in place.  Since most of our pilots are relatively low time recreational pilots I think its best that we keep our concentration on flying for the relatively short time we are up there.  Taking pictures or releasing the collective for any other reason while flying with a locked collective means that if you ever do have an emergency situation, the automatic response of dropping the collective now becomes dropping the camera (or whatever), finding the collective and dropping it while overriding the lock.  Lots to do in the short time we're allowed to do it.

Point well taken, those aren't necessarily good distractions so probably most wise to keep the other hobbies, separated from the Mosquito flying.

I'm sure we are all aware of how flight accidents (chains of issues) happen and anything that can be done to minimize risk is a good thing, especially when your flying low where your response time needs to be sub-second.

My take away from all this is that you could get an itch by steadying the stick between your knees for those urgent short duration events.

Changing channels on the radio when you need to watch the numbers scroll up and down remains an issue, but if you can use presets that might suffice.

With all the wonderfull technology at our disposal surely there will be a way to get GPS and Radio to work together so that the channels change according to your proximity to various airports plus a couple presets for other favorites, and tie all that in with voice commands like a Siri(not so good) or Alexa(awesome) and then we will be all set.
Hey guys have a look at the MGL EFIS that we provide as an option.
One of the many features of the units is to do exactly that.
You can have it control the radio frequencies for you base on current location. IE change area frequency automatically!
Just thought it worth mentioning (many radios are supported and their V6 is a great radio as well).
My two cents from Australia....
-Mosquito sales and services Down Under-