Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Turbine Conversion
I was at the factory in Trenton Fla this week and got to see the new turbine mounted in the Mosquito and I must say a very nice installation. If all goes well the first start up will happen by the end of next week. I'm very excited about the new 90% gear box
because it will open the possiblity for a four stroke conversion. I've never had a moment of trouble with my two stroke but now we may have more options. John, Dwight and George are doing an incredible job with this conversion and the Mosquito is getting better and better.
Andy
Sounds cool. I see that all of the larger helicopters use a turbine. What are all the reasons for one. And how is the fuel consumption?
Sam, Turbines have quite a bit less vibrations to deal with. Their light weight compaired to the horse power you get from them is also an advantage. They tend to be more reliable and once you get them started will continue to run untill you take the fuel away from them. However they do like fuel and they like lots of it. The engine their putting in the Mosquito will probable burn between 8 and 9 GPH which really is not to bad compaired to a lot of turbine engines. You can keep in mind though, in this turbine you can burn many different fuels, Jet-A, Kerosene, Home Heating Oil, Bio-Diesel, Off Road Diesel, Gasoline Diesel Mix, just about anything that will burn. I would probable stick with Jet-A or Kerosene though.
Andy
Andy. 8 to 9 GPH with turbine and 4 to 5 GPH with a two cycle. Dose that limit you range of flight with the ultralight class or do the rules focus on One hour of flight time rather than 5 gallons of fuel. SamW
Sam, Once you put the turbine in the Mosquito you will have to go to the experimental class. The turbine doesn't weigh that much more than the two stroke but it does take you out of the ultralight catagory. John and Dwight have plans to add a belly tank to extend the turbine powered Mosquito's flight time to about two hours. Turbines are nice but please dont' forget the two stroke engine that is presently in the Mosquito's are very reliable and extremely fuel efficient. I'm flying one and really like it. The Mosquito is a really good and safe helicopter and the workmanship that goes into this aircraft is excellent. If you've never seen one up close you'll be impressed. I had the factory build mine for me. I'm just a retired Army pilot who still loves to fly and this little helicopter is all you ever need. It's cheap to operate and maintain.
Andy
Andy when you say cheap to operate what kind of $$$ per hour are you talking about? Fuel, insurance, upkeep, etc.
Sam, My Mosquito XE burns a little over 4 GPH. At $3.00 dollars per gallon thats only $12 or $13 dollars in fuel cost. The oil that goes in the fuel adds another dollar or so to that fuel cost. I keep the aircraft at my home in my garage and fly out of my back yard. So no hanger cost. I do all my own maintance, so once again I dont' need an A&P mechanic. A small amount of cleaning supplies, new spark plugs every now and then and thats about it. Oh Yea! you ask about insurance. To my knowledge there is none available on any of these type of aircraft. I don't have any insurance and I'm not worried. I don't really have much that the lawyers could steal anyway. Everyone seems to worries about the life limits on the parts of the Mosquito. You will probably never fly the aircraft to it's limits. Most pilots will not even fly 50 hours per year so that gives you over 10 years of flying without to much to worries with. Of all the helicopters that I've flown the Mosquito is definately the easiest to maintain. John has kept everything well thought out, simple and easy. If you really want to fly a helicopter the Mosquito is a great choice.
Andy
Redmond;
Good advice, good information,
Thanks for an honest user’s response. This is the kind of mentoring that a lot of prospective buyers are looking for…….

Tell us abut your experiences with the ACFT
Hi Lugo, A few photos of me flying my Mosquito can be found in the gallery section on this web site. I have lots of other pictures but I don't quite know how to make them available to everyone. I fly out of Panama City Beach Fla and spend most of my time flying over water. Except when flying over populated area's I like to fly really low and slow. The visiblity from the Mosquito is phenomenal and flying down the beaches of Panama City reviel some great sights. Not just the girls in their tiny little bikini's but out in the water you get to see large pods of Dolphins, massive schools of sting rays, the great sea turtles and always a few sharks swimming a few yards from unsuspecting swimmers. I have used my helicopter to help locate injured Dolphins, sunk boats missing people on wave runner's and on one flight I discovered a large group of dead sharks in an isolated lagoon. I reported this info back to the marine authorties and their investigation revealed they died from a massive out-break of something called Redtide. The Mosquito is a great little tool to get you up in the air to do some exploring on your own. It doesn't cost a lot. Just about the same price as an old pickup truck. A lot of my friends have Harley-Davisons motorcycles that cost more than my Mosquito helicopter and honestly it's much safer to fly the Mosquito than ride a motorcycle on the streets. A helicopter does not need to be so complicated. The Mosquito has all the right components in all the proper places and is done so in a simple easy manner. We're flying for fun and enjoyment and I for one enjoy the simplisty of my Mosquito.
Andy
redmond;

I saw you flying the week of the SnF; after a couple of days there I went to St. Andrews State park with the wife, on vacations from Egypt. Your flight overhead was the key factor to convince her that I need one of those, tanks…….

I met Mr. Junkin there and after that talked to Mr. Uptigrove in CA to purchase one and do something around Alabama