Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
voltage regulator IDM damage
Hello, recently I had a problem on the voltage regulator IDM. I do not know why but not the battery charging.
the first verifies that I did was the current in alternator output, to understand, the 2 wires that come from the engine, the result is that out of 33 volts alternating current, I also verified that the two cables are not grounded and everything seems OK.
The first question is whether it is correct 33-volt output.
in attached 2 photos of the voltage regulators.
that of IDM is connected as the picture, I would also like to confirm if the connection is correct.
also not having the parts available to the IDM, wanted to know if it is possible to also use the DUCATI regulator that is very similar and if the connection must be like that of IDM.
thank you

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Maurizio

Hello Mauri,

Tu te souviens, lors de mon retour du salon de Blois en 08/2014 j'ai eu une panne totale en vol ayant nécessité une auto-rotation.

Mon régulateur (TYPANIUM) était devenu passant et la tension était montée à + de 20 volts ce qui avait détruit ma batterie (lithium) ainsi que mes deux CDI.

Depuis, j'ai remplacé le Régulateur par un régulateur Key West Control model: 9400-0013 . 

Ce modèle est également installé sur le Mosquito de Michaël et donne toute satisfaction.

Hello Mauri,

Remember, when I returned from the Salon of Blois in 08/2014 I had a total failure in flight needing a self-rotation.

My regulator (TYPANIUM) had turned on and the voltage had risen to more than 20 volts which had destroyed my battery (lithium) as well as my two CDI.

Since then, I have replaced the Regulator with a Key West Control model: 9400-0013.

This model is also installed on Michaël's Mosquito and gives all satisfaction
Jean-Rémy (XE 1077 - Sud Bretagne - France)
I wonder what the cause of the failure is?

Are there any common factors with folks experiencing the failure? Lithium Batteries? XE-285? Total hours on engine?

Seems like the regulator must be getting overloaded somehow?
Ray
(03-27-2017, 01:57 PM)jb92563 Wrote: I wonder what the cause of the failure is?

Are there any common factors with folks experiencing the failure? Lithium Batteries? XE-285? Total hours on engine?

Hi
I had a Typanium Regulator fail - gave out 17Volts intermittently.  I changed it with a similar one and no problems so far, though not done a lot of hours since the change
(03-28-2017, 07:31 AM)you could specify the model that you used? arrow123 Wrote:
(03-27-2017, 01:57 PM)jb92563 Wrote: I wonder what the cause of the failure is?

Hi
I had a Typanium Regulator fail - gave out 17Volts intermittently.  I changed it with a similar one and no problems so far, though not done a lot of hours since the change

(03-26-2017, 08:46 AM)jean, how many hours have you done with this new regulator? JRL Wrote: Hello Mauri,

Tu te souviens, lors de mon retour du salon de Blois en 08/2014 j'ai eu une panne totale en vol ayant nécessité une auto-rotation.

Mon régulateur (TYPANIUM) était devenu passant et la tension était montée à + de 20 volts ce qui avait détruit ma batterie (lithium) ainsi que mes deux CDI.

Depuis, j'ai remplacé le Régulateur par un régulateur Key West Control model: 9400-0013 . 

Ce modèle est également installé sur le Mosquito de Michaël et donne toute satisfaction.

Hello Mauri,

Remember, when I returned from the Salon of Blois in 08/2014 I had a total failure in flight needing a self-rotation.

My regulator (TYPANIUM) had turned on and the voltage had risen to more than 20 volts which had destroyed my battery (lithium) as well as my two CDI.

Since then, I have replaced the Regulator with a Key West Control model: 9400-0013.

This model is also installed on Michaël's Mosquito and gives all satisfaction
Maurizio
I was curious, has anyone incorporated an over voltage controller?

My RV-9 will have one (haven't bought it yet) and they have been recommended to all, by all that are building their own airplane.

Robert
"Pilots - Looking down on people since 1903"
(author unknown)
(03-30-2017, 03:24 PM)swashplate Wrote: I was curious, has anyone incorporated an over voltage controller?

My RV-9 will have one (haven't bought it yet) and they have been recommended to all, by all that are building their own airplane.

Robert

Hello Robert,

Oui, j'ai installé un contrôleur de tension MGL et c'est ce qui m'a permis d'avoir une alarme avant l’arrêt du moteur.
Voici une photo du MGL Bat-1

Hello Robert,

Yes, I installed an MGL voltage controller and this is what allowed me to have an alarm before the engine stopped.
Here is a picture of the MGL Bat-1

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Jean-Rémy (XE 1077 - Sud Bretagne - France)