Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
build time
I'm new to this so bear with me. I'd love to go to the fly in this weekend (April 1-2 2017) in Florida to talk to mosquito owners but I just found out about it yesterday. I've owned a Robinson R22 a few years ago. I'm a commercial helicopter pilot. I sold it and am retired now but still want to fly helicopters. From what I've seen this Mosquito has been around for over 10 year and it seems to have over 300 units out there. I've seen the BD aircraft come and go, the Mini 500 come and go too. But since this company is still in business I'd feel ok buying and building one of these helicopters. I've noticed the built price cost about $10,000 more than the kit. I see that the painting is about $4,000 of that. So I'm guessing the rest of the build is about $6,000. It would be nice if there were videos showing every step of the build but what I'm most concerned about is "how much time does it realistically take (hours) to build one of these things?" Also is there a time and hour rating on the components like the Robinson R22? that is 12 years or 2200 hours , what ever comes first. That 's why I had to sell the Robinson. I had a year left of the 12 year time limit with 1200 hours left on the helicopter. The overhaul would have cost over $100,000.  Any information from owners who have already built one would be a great help. I"m going to make the fly-in in Florida next year. thanks.   Smile
Hi, pity you'll miss the flyin but that's not the only time you can visit the factory...
Build price varies slightly on which model you settle on and what options you'd like to include.
Apart form the belts, our part life has no calendar life on operational hours. Unlike a R22 the TBO kit cost is currently around the $5k mark!
Build time varies again depending on the model and options you go for. As a ball park figure the manual says 400hrs and if you've done any building before I'd say you get it in under that. However if you are the type of person that like to read it 4 times and plan the build step etc it could take you more than 400 hours. The factory often does them in 2 weeks. I find the body work and paint is what takes me the most amount of time.
-Mosquito sales and services Down Under-
(03-30-2017, 09:40 PM)HOVER LOVER Wrote: I'm new to this so bear with me. I'd love to go to the fly in this weekend (April 1-2 2017) in Florida to talk to mosquito owners but I just found out about it yesterday. I've owned a Robinson R22 a few years ago. I'm a commercial helicopter pilot. I sold it and am retired now but still want to fly helicopters. From what I've seen this Mosquito has been around for over 10 year and it seems to have over 300 units out there. I've seen the BD aircraft come and go, the Mini 500 come and go too. But since this company is still in business I'd feel ok buying and building one of these helicopters. I've noticed the built price cost about $10,000 more than the kit. I see that the painting is about $4,000 of that. So I'm guessing the rest of the build is about $6,000. It would be nice if there were videos showing every step of the build but what I'm most concerned about is "how much time does it realistically take (hours) to build one of these things?" Also is there a time and hour rating on the components like the Robinson R22? that is 12 years or 2200 hours , what ever comes first. That 's why I had to sell the Robinson. I had a year left of the 12 year time limit with 1200 hours left on the helicopter. The overhaul would have cost over $100,000.  Any information from owners who have already built one would be a great help. I"m going to make the fly-in in Florida next year. thanks.   Smile
Did that Robinson overhaul include the cost of labor or just parts?  As a builder you can do your own overhauls and maintenance.

I have yet to build mine, but I have read on this forum to expect about 500 hrs according to Marcher07, you can do a search for time to build.  However, I don't know if that is based on someone having never built ANYTHING, someone having aircraft building experience or some where in between.

I believe that there is a "piston replacement" required every 50 hours on the MZ202 engine.

I know this isn't much help, sorry.

Robert
"Pilots - Looking down on people since 1903"
(author unknown)
Video 
I'm also a future Mosquito builder/flyer and am in the process of saving and selling off an airplane.

I've had all those questions myself as well about the Mosquito and after observing and asking a lot of questions am also comfortable buying a farily mature and excellent product that has folks who really care and know what they are doing at the Helm.

The Build logs section of the forum is a good place to start looking at whats involved, and there are some youtube video that offer some good insights. Google "Mosquito heli build youtube"

If you are retired, have lots of time for it and are mechanically inclined you could probably build it in 3 months.
Many builders seem to take between 6-12 months and I'm not sure how much of that is waiting on parts/kits to arrive or just doing work on weekends/evenings.

There are some prefab options that will speed things up if you dont have the time, tools, skills for certain things.

There is also the kit availability factor as the factory needs to make up components, box them, crate them etc and if they are backlogged it may take some extra time to even get your kit.

The End of useful life seems to be higher than 10 years/??? hrs,  John Uptigrove the Designer might be able to answer that with more detail.
Being experimental I think that has yet to be determined, but they are very diligent about investigating any potential weaknesses and address them immediately.
I can't even think of any except for a few premature MZ engine failures that seemed to be caused by improper jetting of the carbs for the home elevations.
The engine manufacturer did not emphasize the importance of properly jetting the carbs before running the engines, so a few ran it as it came from the factory and due to lean mixtures seized an engine.

Ray