Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Would you like to see a two seater Mosquito?
i'd love to see a two seater,perhaps one behind the other ,keeping the original mosquito slim shape or side by side either way i'd support it
Yes all the way! I would like to see a side-by-side arrangement rather than one behind the other. Possibly with NAV and landing lights, too. Again, especially if the cost is right! Smile
A two seat Mosquito would outsell a single seater from the word go!
I was a cattle mustering pilot here in Australia, and am constructing the first XE in this country. But when I say "It's a single seater" they all lose interest. Everyone wants more space.
Yes, to go to a two seater would put John up against the R22 - formidable opposition in this country.
And I agree that the 0-360 is the logical engine, but the carburetted engine gets icing, and the fuel injected one is hard to start when hot.
How to compete with Frank? Start with overcoming one of the above problems would be an excellent start.
But the R22 is the only opposition. The ones mentioned above would not compete at all.
Remember this; Frank Robinson too only ever wanted to build a "personal helicopter".
It was us users who took the R22 to be the serious utility machine that it has become.
Go for it John; say I!
The Mossie has wings in more ways than one.
Rob Hall
I know I am getting totally off-topic here, but it revolves around a point that John U raised and that is carb icing with carburettors.
I too say WHY in this day and age?
I notice some English Rotax users employ electrically heated collars between carb and crankcase. why not use a computer to monitor and control this? Yes it would still be necessary to provide a temperature gauge-the pilot must continue to be the "master computer". But this dual-attack on the problem should relegate carb icing to the history books.
And while we are about it, why do we still have problems with fuel injected Lycoming hard starting when hot? In this country, such a situation can be more than your life is worth.
Surely we could have a 'purge' function with yes, another temp gauge to ensure that fuel circulating thru the manifold valve has reduced to to ambient temperature.
Just afterthoughts.
Rob
I have been operating an O-360A1A for years without ever experiencing carb ice. While a real possibility, it is being way overblown in this thread, (my opinion). There is no reason to expect hard starting on the IO-360 either. It has been my experience that folks having the most trouble don't follow the POH. The superior IO-360 is probably the most bullet proof engine in aviation.
Skeeter.
Although I am not one of the lucky ones in owning a Mosquito yet, but a two seater sounds like a neat idea.

My question is would it be a side-by-side set-up or a tandem set-up?

All the best,

Phil Smile
It will be side by side seating. The design is being done around the Superior IO-360 engine but other options will be available. The engine will be mounted horizontally so options will be wide open. We are designing in solid modelling and plan to have a complete, detailed solid model before we start forming any parts.
mosquito - 5/2/2008 5:36 PM

It will be side by side seating. The design is being done around the Superior IO-360 engine but other options will be available. The engine will be mounted horizontally so options will be wide open. We are designing in solid modelling and plan to have a complete, detailed solid model before we start forming any parts.

John,

Have you considered a tandem seating arrangement? I actually like the tandem arrangement better, because of the lack of balancing equipment requirements (loaded or single).

Plus....it would definitely have a neato factor....like a cobra.

James L
Neat would be nice, but I plan on using one for work. Side by side seating is more practical, and the IO-360 the perfect engine. I believe Innovator is on track.
Skeeter
How about both.....side by side and tandem!!!!!!!!! With all the rest of the components being the same, how hard would it be to change up the cabin a little bit to offer a choice between one or the other?
Smile