Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Resale value???
Hello, I'd like to know what costs are involved in building. If I buy an XE3 for $33,000, what else am i going to need to buy to complete the build? The $33,000 includes everything, right? I know they offer options like paint and governors, which seem like a good idea. So that would add nearly $3000. What about costs of building?

After it's all said and done, and with low hours, what do these things go for on the used market? I know I saw an air with I think about 40 hours go for about $20,000. I don't know how much an air goes for, but I'm assuming he probably lost about $10,000. It'd be nice to know that you'd be able to get something out of it.

Thanks,
Steve
I have heard of only a few ships which traded hands and they held their value as I understand.
Hello Steve:
I am building the XE301 and I chose it because of the extra power due to my weight. It seems to stay at 220 pounds, but I hope to lose some. Anyway, personally, I am not concerned about the reliability of the 301 verses the 201. Its not much more to care for. Once all three are tuned together it shouldn't be much more effort to keep them tuned. You should look at the free video of John Snyder doing his autorotation. That is a real confidence builder. It is somewhere on the home page. Don't expect to make money on any helicopter. Just look at it as a fun sport. By the way, I would highly recomend you buy Dougs pre-fab and cut parts. It is well worth the small price. I built and flew the mini 500 and it did not have a governor. I really don't think we need a governor on these. I ordered my kit in February of 08 and paid the full price in August of 08. The frame was received in August and pre painted. I am still waiting for the blades and engine and some parts not sent. Dave
Dave, thanks for the response. I'm definitely going to do the pre fab parts. Fabrication is not something I'm very good at, but bolting things on, that I'm comfortable with. I'd definitely not be trying to make money with the kit, but it'd be nice to know that for whatever reason if I had to sell the helicopter, I'd be able to get most of the money back.

How'd you like the Mini 500? What made you switch to the Mosquito?

Steve
Actually I liked the mini 500. It flew very well and had a better feel and response than the R22. I sold it because even at my 220 pounds the clutch couldn't handle the weight. The mini was much heavier than the mosquito; I think 150 pounds heavier? After I had leveled off at 2200 feet the clutch began to slip. This happened twice and I didn't feel like fabricating another clutch so I sold it to a lighter person. There were some inherent factors which made the mini dangerous. The most glaring one is the tendancy to pitch down with engine stop. Although I did autos with it and others did too, there were some fatalities because of the pitch over and if you read all the accidents with it the engine (rotax 582) was the major cause of the accidents. Most had engine failure because of the over heating and therefore seizure. That is another reason why I chose the 301 with the ceramic pistons. The ceramic helps to prevent the seizure. Another reason why you should have that done with your 2 cycle engine. The engine temperature is very critical and should be watched closely. I even had mine seize on me, but I was only picking it up to a hover. Hope this helps you Wink , Dave
That does, thank you.
I'm currently flying my XE3, and I concur the engine reliability is as good as the 202. Mine runs very smooth, I did order it with the ceramic pistons, and my EGT/CHT's are very close on all 3 cylinders. My friend was hovering mine OGE at DA 7500, and he weighs 200 lbs. I think you have made a wise purchase, your going to love the thing!
Skeeter
Thanks Skeeter:
I am hoping to get it flying by next spring. I really do appreciate your build pictures. The pictures help very much. It is hard to understand something by words you know. Dave
I know this is an old post and I just wanted to add the Mini 500 Dave sold me was a perfect flyer at my 165 lb. weight. It never gave me any trouble. I never even came close to an engine failure as I am a very anal retentive about having everything dialed in. This engine was perfectly tuned for my sea level operations and was always in the green without fail. The Mini 500 I bought from Dave weighed in at 540 lbs and I took 200 of those pounds off of it. At near gross (840 Lb.) it would out climb my buddies R-22 time after time. Back to your regularly scheduled Mosquito time Smile

Jim

scudrunner - 12/1/2008 11:37 AM

Actually I liked the mini 500. It flew very well and had a better feel and response than the R22. I sold it because even at my 220 pounds the clutch couldn't handle the weight. The mini was much heavier than the mosquito; I think 150 pounds heavier? After I had leveled off at 2200 feet the clutch began to slip. This happened twice and I didn't feel like fabricating another clutch so I sold it to a lighter person. There were some inherent factors which made the mini dangerous. The most glaring one is the tendancy to pitch down with engine stop. Although I did autos with it and others did too, there were some fatalities because of the pitch over and if you read all the accidents with it the engine (rotax 582) was the major cause of the accidents. Most had engine failure because of the over heating and therefore seizure. That is another reason why I chose the 301 with the ceramic pistons. The ceramic helps to prevent the seizure. Another reason why you should have that done with your 2 cycle engine. The engine temperature is very critical and should be watched closely. I even had mine seize on me, but I was only picking it up to a hover. Hope this helps you , Dave