Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Open Trailering
I have found a Mosquito for purchase out of state.  Is it safe to trailer on a open flatbed trailer, like a U-Haul rental?  I'm concerned about wind loads causing fatigue or adverse loading issues.

Is there a safe and recommended way to do this?  Thanks.
XE285 N869DJ
Start: June 2018 (Build started!  Wink  )
Aug 2018, est. 75%
(01-25-2018, 09:52 PM)Dick Campbell Wrote: I have found a Mosquito for purchase out of state.  Is it safe to trailer on a open flatbed trailer, like a U-Haul rental?  I'm concerned about wind loads causing fatigue or adverse loading issues.

Hey Dick,

Descent sized trailer should work fine if you have one.   I moved mine 400 miles in the back of my truck averaging 60+ mph in a Ram 1500 short box.  John Uptigrove highly recommends removing the main rotor blades and tail rotor.  Both are pretty easy to do. Unless the main blades are properly supported they will flex badly and the weight of the tail rotor will stress the tail as you bounce along.  (I moved mine about 15 miles with out removing them on a flat bed, and will not be doing that again)   I spoke with john before I picked up mine and he suggested, building a deck on back of bed (5/8"+ plywood) and the Mosquito sits on it backwards with the tail over the cab of the truck. Secure the frame, strap down the rotor blades underneath the frame and put the tail rotor (and doors)in the back seat.  I'm sure others have far more experience moving their machines, but  if you PM and I'll see if I can find some pictures of mine on the truck and give ya a little more detail on what we did.
Be sure to mark the blades if you remove them.  It is important to have the blades go back into the grips they came out of for balance purposes.

I will be carrying mine on a open trailer, 16 foot long, 81" wide, twin axle, drop tailgate.  I plane to support the main blades near both ends of the trailer along with the tail boom.  The helicopter will be facing forward - because - well - that's the way it is designed to travel.

My $0.02

Robert
"Pilots - Looking down on people since 1903"
(on a shirt my daughter gave me - author unknown)
Van's Aircraft RV-9 (dragon tail) Flying Phase 1
If you look at the pictures of past Fly-Ins you will see how guys have secured their birds to open trailers. Also look in the builders gallery. The information is here, you just have to use the resources that are on this forum and get pointed in the right direction.

Michael
XE 285  1205 (Myrtle)
Start: 8/1/2013
Finish: 5/24/2014
Arrived home: 10/11/2014

A photo I found from the 2009 Fly-In.

XE 285  1205 (Myrtle)

Lightbulb 
Great pic Mike.  The XEL doesn’t have boom supports like the Air so I plan to support the tail boom from the trailer bed and incorporate the same support to hold the aft main blade. Then have a separate support for the forward main blade.

Robert
Robert,

I found a few more pics of my 285 tail boom support. Just 2x4s screwed together and to the deck with a aluminum tube through the boom itself.

Michael

XE 285  1205 (Myrtle)

(01-28-2018, 08:08 PM)FlyGuy Wrote: Robert,

I found a few more pics of my 285 tail boom support. Just 2x4s screwed together and to the deck with a aluminum tube through the boom itself.

Michael

I gotta say Mike, every time I see you anywhere around Mosquito helicopters, you have this huge smile on your face - whatz that all about?  LOL.

How long is the open trailer in these pictures?

Can you remove and/or install the main blades by yourself  or does it take two?

Robert
That is an 20' trailer. Two people are needed to install/remove the blades. These photos were taken the day I finally got Myrtle home 5 months after completing the build. Home at last!

Michael
XE 285  1205 (Myrtle)

(01-25-2018, 10:30 PM)TS Rupcich Wrote:
(01-25-2018, 09:52 PM)Dick Campbell Wrote: I have found a Mosquito for purchase out of state.  Is it safe to trailer on a open flatbed trailer, like a U-Haul rental?  I'm concerned about wind loads causing fatigue or adverse loading issues.

Hey Dick,

Descent sized trailer should work fine if you have one.   I moved mine 400 miles in the back of my truck averaging 60+ mph in a Ram 1500 short box.  John Uptigrove highly recommends removing the main rotor blades and tail rotor.  Both are pretty easy to do. Unless the main blades are properly supported they will flex badly and the weight of the tail rotor will stress the tail as you bounce along.  (I moved mine about 15 miles with out removing them on a flat bed, and will not be doing that again)   I spoke with john before I picked up mine and he suggested, building a deck on back of bed (5/8"+ plywood) and the Mosquito sits on it backwards with the tail over the cab of the truck. Secure the frame, strap down the rotor blades underneath the frame and put the tail rotor (and doors)in the back seat.  I'm sure others have far more experience moving their machines, but  if you PM and I'll see if I can find some pictures of mine on the truck and give ya a little more detail on what we did.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)