Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Open Trailering
Thanks guys. My purchase deal fell through, but I just sent my order to Composite FX for a XE285. So, I will still need to figure out a transport scheme. I have an F150, I really like the pickup bed solution.

@ TS Rupcich - why did you take the doors off?
XE285 #1329 N869DJ
Start: June 2018
Done:  Sep 12, 2018  Sleepy 
AWC Issued: Sep 26, 2018  Big Grin  
No worried, Dwight will have great information on hauling a 285. he also has a few trailers that you can look at.
 Michael
XE 285  1205 (Myrtle)
Start: 8/1/2013
Finish: 5/24/2014
Arrived home: 10/11/2014

Big Grin 
(02-03-2018, 03:31 AM)FlyGuy Wrote: No worried, Dwight will have great information on hauling a 285. he also has a few trailers that you can look at.
 Michael

I will be dragging my travel trailer to FL to live in while I'm at the factory.  If I can put the bird in the bed and tow my RV, that would be ideal.  Would also be a way to go to fly-ins in the future.
XE285 #1329 N869DJ
(02-02-2018, 10:15 PM)Dick Campbell Wrote: Thanks guys.  My purchase deal fell through, but I just sent my order to Composite FX for a XE285.  So, I will still need to figure out a transport scheme.  I have an F150, I really like the pickup bed solution.

@ TS Rupcich - why did you take the doors off?
I like the deck as well.  John told me he has moved two helicopters like that before, one on a trailer the other on a deck.  My problem, having a short box is that the blades which are secured between the skids extend 3' beyond the bumper (7.5' blade- 5.5' box).  A trailer could catch them if the hitch isn't long enough.  You also need 4 guys or a forklift/front end loader to get it on and off the deck. At 400 lbs its not heavy but as you suspend it from the rotor hub which is 7'+ the deck height, you need a pretty big forklift    I'm trying to come up this a cunning design to make it easier....  thinking a collapsible 500 lbs cable winch lift that bolts onto the corner of the deck to lift and swing the mosquito onto the deck...... another summer project.

Main reasons for the doors were:
1.  They weren't on the frame at the time, and
2. John told me to do it that way... Smile

Tim
Have a look in the builders gallery under operation then mosquito aviation. There are a number of clear photos of an xe on the back of a small pickup. Photos show supports and clamps for skids etc.
Thanks!
XE285 #1329 N869DJ
Removal of the tail rotor gear box --make sure you stuff a rag into the gearbox "hole" to keep the drive shaft from coming out - if it comes dislodged from the splitter gear box you will have to remove the tailboom to fish the coupler spider out of the bottom of the tail boom and you can also lose your driveshaft going down the road