Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Maximum pilot weight for XET and XE285
My apologies, if this question has been discussed before. I have seen older threads with similar questions but none specific to the XE285 and XET. 

I am trying to figure out the math on maximum pilot weight but then I figured that that may not only have something to do with max gross weight but also with the balance. 

With the XE285 based on the info on the website:

12 gallon of fuel (fuel weight 6.1 lb/gal) in the main tank is about 73.2 lb (33.2 kg)

useful load including  fuel is 362 lb/164 kg 

If we take away the fuel from the useful load it comes out to 288.8 lb/130.9 kg

If I understand that correctly I can pack at least 280 lb on top of the fuel into the Helicopter and I am still within allowed gross weight, or?

Sounds good so far, but how much of that is really a reasonable pilot weight allowing for all flight maneuvers including quick stops and so on.  

Thanks,
Christoph
I have a 285. My understanding is the max pilot weight is 240lbs. This is based on the structural strength of the airframe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hi,

thank for your input. 

So far I have seen maximum per seat weight for some helicopters which is stated in their flight manual. As an example the Helicycle specs sheet states clearly 220lbs max weight for the pilot. 
http://www.helicycle.com/Specs/Helicycle...0Specs.htm

I have found some info here stating that above 230lb you should go to models with the stronger engine. 

http://forum.mosquito-helicopter.info/sh...14#pid8014

but no per seat max weight. 
Is there any information in the manual about that? Unfortunately, the manual is not available for mere mortals.

Thank you 
Christoph
Useful load in the XE285 is 362 lb. Fuel weight in the standard tank is 72 lb (12 gallons at 6 lb per gallon). So max pilot weight with the standard fuel tank full is 290 lb. You can have more fuel in the aux tank with lower pilot weight or the other way around so long as the max weight is not exceeded and the balance is correct.
(04-23-2018, 02:00 PM)mosquito Wrote: ... and the balance is correct.

Thank for your answer.
I think that is the pilot weight I am looking for. 
Something like standard configuration with fuel (standard tank only) now how much weight can be put on the pilot seat until the helicopter is not in balance anymore?
You will adjust your fore/aft balance by mounting your seat forward/back.  Most likely forward. If you have to move your seat too far forward for legroom, use of controls etc then you may have to add weight.  I had to put weight in the nose of my machine and there are a number of videos where you will see small shot bags of lead on the top of peoples instrument panel.
Gary
Because of the weight of the Inntec engine pilots often need to add forward ballast. Heavier pilots however need less ballast or none at all. The balance test will tell all this before you fly.
Thanks for the answers, that helps at least somewhat, even though it would be nice to know what weight on the pilot seat could not be balanced anymore.
However, I am aware that absolute numbers are kinda hard to tell since there is no standard configuration and they may have never been computed.
You are thinking about it the wrong way round really. No machine comes 'balanced' in some sort of standard setup. We follow some really easy instructions in the manual and balance the machines to suit the pilot and machine configuration, and as Chamberlain posted above the machines have a max allowable pilot weight of 240lb. You can add ballast as needed as long as you dont go over your max take off weight.

A machine that might take a lot of weight could be something with the accessory tail fins, a large engine, xe285 or xet, with a really tall pilot that wants the seat well back for legroom. In a case like that you might need 5lb or so in the nose. Hope an example like that helps you.

Gary.