Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Looking for some Mosquito acquisition advice
Good thinking!
XE 285  1205 (Myrtle)
Start: 8/1/2013
Finish: 5/24/2014
Arrived home: 10/11/2014

Think category and class. The XE285 is a registered helicopter, not an ultralight, therefore you need a rotorcraft-helicopter license.
XE285 #1329 N869DJ
Start: June 2018 (Build started!  Wink  )
Finished!:  Sep 12, 2018  Big Grin
Dick, I believe most should be registered Experimental Amatuer Built. No where does that say rotary or fixed wing. You're trying to apply certificated logic to experimental.
Shane 
RV-6 Angle Valve G3X
Murphy Rebel 
Aero Engineer, A&P
By registered, I meant "not ultralight". Category and class must be obeyed even if E-AB. You cannot legally fly a rotorcraft without a rotorcraft license.
XE285 #1329 N869DJ
NOT TRUE. Please read my previous post again. I would not lie!

For example, no pilots' license is required in the USA when it comes to the Mosquito XEL, but you need a private fixed wing license to fly the Mosquito XE. In Canada, a private helicopter license is required for the Mosquito. Most ultralight helicopter owners decided to buy it for recreational flight.

But it is very wise to get a helicopter solo sign-off and even better to get a full helicopter certification to insure safe operation!
XE 285  1205 (Myrtle)
Start: 8/1/2013
Finish: 5/24/2014
Arrived home: 10/11/2014

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/14/61.31

61.31 (I).... near the bottom. As stated legal to fly, but smart to get flight training prior.
Shane 
RV-6 Angle Valve G3X
Murphy Rebel 
Aero Engineer, A&P
OK, I cede. Here is FAR 61.31

(d) Aircraft category, class, and type ratings: Limitations on operating an aircraft as the pilot in command. To serve as
the pilot in command of an aircraft, a person must—
(1) Hold the appropriate category, class, and type rating (if a class or type rating is required) for the aircraft to be
flown; or
(2) Have received training required by this part that is appropriate to the pilot certification level, aircraft category,
class, and type rating (if a class or type rating is required) for the aircraft to be flown, and have received an endorsement
for solo flight in that aircraft from an authorized instructor.

I was not familiar with para (2), which can apply to the Mosquito because it is single seat (solo), so it looks like you just need a solo endorsement from a CFI. But also then L (2) (iii) (B) says does not apply for an experimental certificate if solo.

So the key here is "solo"

Gomen. (Learn something new everyday) Smile
XE285 #1329 N869DJ