Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Potential Mosquito Owner
Hi Shane, welcome.  I too am new to the forum and a new mosquito xe285 owner -  I've sent my deposit in and now waiting for airframe delivery.  Anyway, like a few here I'm dual rated with CPL rotorcraft helicopter, CFI, and a PPL single engine land.  I started in helicopters in 2012 and just two years ago thought I'd get my fixed wing add on.  As mentioned above,  you'll need 20hrs dual before you can solo an r22 as required by SFAR 73.  Trust me, even if you can hover comfortably with your instructor you should keep practicing hover drills till your double sure before solo.  The reason I say this is for a few reasons, for first solo pickup from the ground will feel pretty odd.  I had a 130lb female instructor and the CG change was really noticeable.  Took a bit more forward / left cyclic (she sat left seat so the absence of her moved CG aft and right) Also overall weight, even with full fuel, was dramatic as a beginner.  Turbulance and wind will feel stronger...in all the phases of flight.  The mere fact that your safety net is removed can be cause for a stress induced miscalculation/control input.  I don't intend to make this sound discouraging, just a little bit of an eye opener.  I never went in trying to make a solo by x hrs or hover by x hrs...just practice till you think your safe and then go a few more to be sure.  Itll be much more costly to wreck the bird than the cost of a few more flight hrs.  My .02.
I will echo everything Eblezien said, having had the same experiences. Unlike F/W, small helos have no inertia, no stability and no trim (especially the R22). They really are quite different, and you will have to unlearn some F/W habits.
XE285 1329 (N869DJ reserved)
Start: June 2018 (Build started!  Wink  )