Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
How Did You Afford Yours?
How did you do it? Sure, the Mosquito is only a ~$40,000helicopter, but how? I mean, what job do you have to have or how much did you ha e to put down with what credit score range? Seriously, I'm looking for hard numbers here. Please. I want one of these so bad, I'll do what it takes to get one. I just need to know what it takes. Thank you!
Man must rise above Earth...then will he understand the world in which he lives. Socrates
(07-15-2018, 04:53 PM)tedirelan Wrote: How did you do it? Sure, the Mosquito is only a ~$40,000helicopter, but how? I mean, what job do you have to have or how much did you ha e to put down with what credit score range? Seriously, I'm looking for hard numbers here. Please. I want one of these so bad, I'll do what it takes to get one. I just need to know what it takes. Thank you!

If you work at McDonalds and you save your complete pay check, you should have $40k in 166 weeks. However, there is going to be a price increase on Aug 1st, 2018 of $3k, so that will ad another 13 weeks. And then theres the possibility of another price increase in the years of saving so you'll need to factor that into the equation. 
However, if you are a Doctor, Attorney or Donald Trump you can just write the check and mail it to the factory. Options are additional.
Jim
Lol. Here's where I'm at:
Work for Pepsi taking home an extra $1,200/month. Nothing saved yet. Credit of 620. What I'm getting at is, can someone in my position reasonably afford a Mosquito (XEL w/all options)?
Man must rise above Earth...then will he understand the world in which he lives. Socrates
Buy in stages to spread costs, keep focused on your goal one stage at a time, maybe learn the joys of working some overtime or another job on the side (plenty of us have).

Although there are price increases from time to time on these machines they are only a very small amount, and you will probably find your wages moving up at a faster rate, and the machine getting closer to being within reach over time. If you look at every other helicopter on the market their prices have increased substantially while the Mosquito price has only crept up slightly. The Factory and John seem to be going out of their way to keep these affordable for us.

And if you do make the leap be realistic about costs, there will be some to get the machine legally airworthy (depending on model), and you absolutely want to spend money on training.
If you put all options on the XEL it will likely be over the weight of Ultralights and be a registered aircraft.

Gary
XE285 in NZ
(07-15-2018, 05:42 PM)tedirelan Wrote: Lol. Here's where I'm at:
Work for Pepsi taking home an extra $1,200/month. Nothing saved yet. Credit of 620. What I'm getting at is, can someone in my position reasonably afford a Mosquito  (XEL w/all options)?

Honest Answer, NO !!
Jim
It all boils down to "how bad do you want it!" It is called sacrifice. It took me five years to have the money for mine and that was just for the heli and factory assist and did not include the five trips to the factory during school breaks.This is not like buying a TV, once you buy it you are done, after you get the kit you need tools, fuel, flight lessons, and time.

It is not easy but it can be done, how bad do you want it!
XE 285  1205 (Myrtle)
Start: 8/1/2013
Finish: 5/24/2014
Arrived home: 10/11/2014

Pretty much what Flyguy said really, but one other aspect to mention which is doing wonders for me is to stay away from them women-folk! They are the ultimate money sink in this world and if you can stay away from 'me you can almost afford anything you can put your mind to! And if you can't stay away from them, which lets face it, is a difficult prospect, a $7 box of Trojans can pretty much pay for a $60,000 helicopter! I've got so many friends who never learned that lesson haha, but hey, it's all in your priorities, unless of course you've got the cash for a family AND a helicopter, but if that were the case we probably wouldn't be having this conversation ?
(07-16-2018, 01:37 PM)Casey Wrote: Pretty much what Flyguy said really, but one other aspect to mention which is doing wonders for me is to stay away from them women-folk! They are the ultimate money sink in this world and if you can stay away from 'me you can almost afford anything you can put your mind to! And if you can't stay away from them, which lets face it, is a difficult prospect, a $7 box of Trojans can pretty much pay for a $60,000 helicopter! I've got so many friends who never learned that lesson haha, but hey, it's all in your priorities, unless of course you've got the cash for a family AND a helicopter, but if that were the case we probably wouldn't be having this conversation ?

Sorry about this Casey, but my wife has been behind both my Van's Aircraft RV-9 AND the Mosquito XEL 100% - supportive and financially.  She bought me some instruments.

Tedirelan - You gotta save the money - period.  Financing sucks.  Have some patience.  At no time did I ever finance any part of the RV-9 I buil.  I saved the money until I could purchase more from money I saved.  Put as much as you can stand in the bank and FUH-GET-ABOTIT!  Eventually in short order you will have enough for the first stage of the build.

Please remember, Life happens.  It took me 12 years to build the RV-9 because of layoffs and recalls at work over the span of several years.  But I stuck with it and now I'm putting together an XEL.  REPEAT - have patience.

Robert
"Pilots - Looking down on people since 1903"
(on a shirt my daughter gave me - author unknown)
Van's Aircraft RV-9 (dragon tail) Flying Phase 1
I will second that Swashplate!
XE 285  1205 (Myrtle)
Start: 8/1/2013
Finish: 5/24/2014
Arrived home: 10/11/2014

Haha well I still feel like you two gentlemen are the exception and not the rule, but I'm super happy for y'all all the same ?

It just goes to prove we all have our own unique situations, and at the end of the day hard work and diligence are what it takes to reach your goals!

Jeez haha lets rename this thread to "Motivational platitudes"! ???