Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
John Uptigrove

XE 285  1205 (Myrtle)
Start: 8/1/2013
Finish: 5/24/2014
Arrived home: 10/11/2014

wow, i am truly speechless. thanks flyguy for sharing. condolences to the family.
C'est une bien triste nouvelle, j'avais eu l'occasion d'échanger des e.mail avec lui lors de ma construction.
C'était un chouette gars, très sympathique et très ingénieux.

Toutes mes pensées vont à sa famille et à ses proches.

This is sad news, I had the opportunity to exchange e.mail with him during my construction.
He was a nice guy, very friendly and very ingenious.

All my thoughts are with his family and loved ones.
Jean-Rémy (XE 1077 - Sud Bretagne - France)
This is truely a sad day in the world of aviation, John was an innovative thinker and engineer.  My thoughts and prayers to the family and friends as they try to make sense of this accident.  RIP John, you will be missed dearly.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/ul...-1.4748316

http://canadianews.org/calgary/2018/07/1...lgary.html

https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/helicopter-pi...-1.4014774

https://www.thestar.com/calgary/2018/07/...river.html
John était un gars très sympathique.
Toutes mes condoléances à la famille et ses proches.

Pascal.
Sorry to hear of the passing of John Uptigrove, he was a great Canadian and helicopter designer. I was fortunate to visit him at his home in Calgary several years ago to witness his flying skills and the incredible machines that he designed.

He will definitely leave a void in the industry.
My condolences to his family and the Mosquito community.

Mark Kinnin
Rotorway Talon #8029
"under construction"
Ottawa, Canada
First I'd like to say it was quite a surprise and shock to hear of the passing of John. He certainly made a great amount of people be able to fulfill their dream of owning and flying their own helicopter, me included. He will not only be missed by the Mosquito nation of owners but also by any future owners looking to fulfill their dream. 
Composite FX facebook states "Details of his passing are not yet available, but we know that he was involved in a Mosquito AIR helicopter incident."  From the news video of the crash site it did not appear to be a Mosquito Air that crashed. The video I saw looked to be a XE285 Mosquito. Hopefully the investigation will be able to determine what the cause was. John was one of the most experienced Mosquito pilots, therefore I don't believe  "pilot error" will be the determining factor of the investigation.
Thank you for making my dream become a reality. 
RIP, John
Jim
Because of the things you state, we can not speculate anything. News reports say it was an ultra light but if it is a 285 it is not.  The news is shocking not only to the Mosquito Nation but to many in the larger World Rotorcraft community. I took a small memorial flight in John's honor yesterday and tried to ask him what happened. After shut down and while doing my post flight inspection I was still amazed with the detail and simplicity of his design. 

As Jim stated the investigation should uncover the facts of this horrific accident and put all speculation to rest. I too thank John for making it possible to fulfill the dream of flying my own helicopter. I send prayers out to John and his family.

My God rest his soul.

Michael
XE 285  1205 (Myrtle)
Start: 8/1/2013
Finish: 5/24/2014
Arrived home: 10/11/2014

I am so shocked and deeply saddened to hear of the tragic loss of John Uptigrove. I would like to offer my sincere condolences to his family and friends and all who knew him. Although I was not fortunate enough to meet him, he was generous with his time and very responsive in answering some questions I had about the Mosquito helicopter even though I was not a customer. It is my sincere hope that the Mosquito Community will be able to carry on with John Uptigrove's work and his dream. He will be greatly missed and never forgotten.