Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Request to members
Mosquito Nation,

Over the past few months we have noticed and seen a few things that have been lacking in the forum. We have seen too many folks join our forum and proceed to post "spam" threads throughout all forum topics except owner/builder specific topics. I have also noticed that there are  a number of owners that do not have the wing by there name which would give owner/builders access to Owners Manuals, ADs, and other owner privileges that can not be accessed without them. I believe this is the reason for the rash of questions that every owner/builder should know but may not have the access that they need. 

I would like to request a few things from you members that will help the Admin. of this Forum to get things ironed out, make it easier to get rid of the spammers more quickly, and help members with questions:

1. Put information in your profile.
      In many cases there is no information in this area. This lets them and other members know your name, where you are located, and thus makes it easier to find support in your area or even get a chance to see a Mosquito in person. I so dislike calling someone "sdveck25". There is also a Mosquito Owners Map but because very few of our membership supply name, location, and serial number the information is incomplete and that is what all of you want, incomplete information! That serial number is very important. By including it in your profile the wing can be added to your name when all this recent chaos settles.

2. Lack of participation by many members has come to an all time high. I look at some posts and see that it has been viewed   47 times and yet no one replies to it! Try to help members with questions. I remember when I joined the forum and asked a question. I was great to get a response with information that was usable. But lately many members want information bout will not help others. I have tried to spread information that I have learned but I am starting to draw the like on questions that already have threads or ones that members haven't tried to research at all (did you take training, how much fuel does it hold, or any other question that can easily be answered with the slightest amount of effort). If a person is too lazy to do any research I don't know if I want them flying around in a machine that can kill them or others.

I hope you will help to keep the forum on track and moving forward. Be safe.

Michael
XE 285  1205 (Myrtle)
Start: 8/1/2013
Finish: 5/24/2014
Arrived home: 10/11/2014

I agree with you Michael about supporting each other.

You don't need wings to get access to the builders forum, Mike Messex can give access. I have access and no wings. When I asked about that, Mike said it was a website admin problem to get the wings icon on a profile. I'll let him weigh in on that.

Dick
XE285 #1329 N869DJ
Start: June 2018
Done:  Sep 12, 2018  Sleepy 
AWC Issued: Sep 26, 2018  Big Grin  
Thanks for your reply. I just talked to Mike. Out of 9 views you are the only reply.
Thanks again.

Michael
XE 285  1205 (Myrtle)

Hello Michael (and everyone else too)

While I cannot contribute much to this group as I do not fly helicopters (yet), I have followed this forum for 3 years now and have enjoyed the conversations and the chances to hear everyone's stories. I check in almost every day. I also run a yahoo group for a fixed wing home-built (because no one else had done it) and I wholeheartedly agree that the only way a group can flourish is to have all the members involved and helping each other. I know our lives are all hectic and free time is scarce and precious, but we must take time to help and support each other. For those lurking like me, please research before you ask. The Search function for this forum works. For those who are building or are flying, please support others. One response may answer a question, but 10 will give a broader picture and allow the asker to better evaluate his options. Pictures and videos are also a great way to spread the word and built enthusiasm. Keeping the tone positive and supportive will facilitate cooperation and sharing.

Best wishes to everyone!

Daryl
Daryl,

Thank you for your input. You get it! Participation is what makes this forum work. In the past few years participation has gone south. Now there is a Mosquito fan page on FaceBook where some, not all non owners give advice that is not always accurate and sometimes being the origin of false rumors. 

John was the Captain of this ship and with his passing there is a need for everyone to make an extra effort to contribute to the forum, answer questions, use the search function, and look at the builders gallery where one can see photos that answer some of their questions. Marcher07, myself, and many others have posted photos on many different subjects in order to help.

Thanks for lurking and supporting the forum.

Michael
XE 285  1205 (Myrtle)

I'm a little bit 'mipht' at the criticism. When I joined thus forum nowhere was I advised on how to use this site. It appears to me that there are a lot of function here but learning those uses has been at best a trial and error affaire ! Mostly error !
I've posted several questions but got no answer ! Not the least to Michael, himself. So I say, 'back up and consider that maybe we, the unwashed, need a little guidance from those that are more acquainted and knowledgeable. I never intend to do the wrong thing ! I'm just not very smart.
For example, where is this entry for 'profile?' What is meant by Signature box, or Disable Smiles box, or all the other boxes I see sprinkled around this site.
Like I said, I don't mean to violate the rules. I'm just wanting to know all I can about this machine and what other people have learned.

Will, #1335, XET, Woodstock, GA, private pilot with ~12 hours duel training in a Swizter 300, waiting to be called to participate in the Factory Assist and wondering if this epistle will in fact get posted.
Will,

Sorry to get your feathers ruffled. I have never been one to try to offend anyone or start any bad vibes on this forum. I wanted to get members to slow down and do a little work themselves. I have reached out to you and other new members and wanted to help. I really don't like typing and that is why I often reach out by private messages asking for a phone number which I did with you. I figured with all the questions you had it would be faster for me to answer them. Did you get the private message? I show it was sent. 

Now get un-mipht! If you don't care for me that is cool. I do not bring attitude to this forum. If you want to chew me out, do it respectfully in a private message, that's what they are there for. Drama and ego is not to be a part of this forum.
If you don't know how to use private messages I can help you with that too.

Michael
XE 285  1205 (Myrtle)

Hi Michael - Over my time of owning a Mosquito, I have asked what I figured was a dumb question a few times and I have had some great replies, so I know what it is like to wait on a reply. Any assistance that can be passed around the group is not only good for teh individual, but also for anyone else sitting in the wings wondering what the answer will be. To everyone who has chipped in with an answer or comment on the forums, I thank you. Long may we all help each other.
Peter
XE
Loburn
New Zealand
I agree Peter.
XE 285  1205 (Myrtle)

(08-19-2018, 03:16 AM)FlyGuy Wrote: Mosquito Nation,

Over the past few months we have noticed and seen a few things that have been lacking in the forum. We have seen too many folks join our forum and proceed to post "spam" threads throughout all forum topics except owner/builder specific topics. I have also noticed that there are  a number of owners that do not have the wing by there name which would give owner/builders access to Owners Manuals, ADs, and other owner privileges that can not be accessed without them. I believe this is the reason for the rash of questions that every owner/builder should know but may not have the access that they need. 

I would like to request a few things from you members that will help the Admin. of this Forum to get things ironed out, make it easier to get rid of the spammers more quickly, and help members with questions:

1. Put information in your profile.
      In many cases there is no information in this area. This lets them and other members know your name, where you are located, and thus makes it easier to find support in your area or even get a chance to see a Mosquito in person. I so dislike calling someone "sdveck25". There is also a Mosquito Owners Map but because very few of our membership supply name, location, and serial number the information is incomplete and that is what all of you want, incomplete information! That serial number is very important. By including it in your profile the wing can be added to your name when all this recent chaos settles.

2. Lack of participation by many members has come to an all time high. I look at some posts and see that it has been viewed   47 times and yet no one replies to it! Try to help members with questions. I remember when I joined the forum and asked a question. I was great to get a response with information that was usable. But lately many members want information bout will not help others. I have tried to spread information that I have learned but I am starting to draw the like on questions that already have threads or ones that members haven't tried to research at all (did you take training, how much fuel does it hold, or any other question that can easily be answered with the slightest amount of effort). If a person is too lazy to do any research I don't know if I want them flying around in a machine that can kill them or others.

I hope you will help to keep the forum on track and moving forward. Be safe.

Michael

The pre-ramble:

Sooo...I wanna preface this post by saying that I'm going to try to say this without sounding passive aggressive or anything! I want everyone on this forum to be my friend and I certainly don't want to make anyone mad or to insult anyone either! But as you are seemingly demanding participation in the discussion, I just thought I would come and share my observations and experiences from my short amount of time being a member of this great community!

So once again, I will endeavor to be as friendly as possible, but if I come off as a little offending, it certainly is NOT my intention!  Wink

Now I'm not too sure if what you mean by "spam" threads are the actual threads created by spambots hoping to get us to click on their links thus installing their trojans, or if you mean newer people who might post a thread that has already been answered by another thread. If it's the former, then yeah, good luck! Every forum on the internet has to tackle that problem in some form or another. Maybe a little robot test when creating an account would cut down on a lot of that. Other than that, I'm not familiar with too many anti-spam techniques and wouldn't be much help in that department.

Now as to the latter, that kind of takes us into a more slippery slope type of situation, if you will. Now a previous user used the rather apt term "mipht"(which by the way, bravo on the word-play haha that's one of those words that I've never seen spelled out before and I love it!) and I wouldn't say that is the correct term for my situation, but however, every time I see someone tell someone else to "use the search function" or "this question has already been asked in an earlier thread" I kind of sigh and roll my eyes and utter "ugh...here we go again". First thing is first, I'm lucky enough to have born in this generation that has learned how to use a computer and the internet rather effectively. I've spent a great deal of time on many different forums and am well accustomed to searching for information. Hell, I shadow-stalked this forum for like a year, reading every single thread I had access to before I even created an account. 

Now that is not to say that EVERYONE has that ability. Now I'm assuming that the Mosquito community is, on the whole, in the older age range. I only assume this because when I met with Norbert at the factory he commented that my being 33 years old and about to purchase a Mosquito was a bit out of the ordinary compared to his usual customers. So, taking this data, I can almost say for certain that there are a great deal of perspective and actual Mosquito owners who may not have a grasp on how to navigate a web forum effectively, nor how to create the proper syntax and terminology for using the search functions, however I will grant you that this forum does utilize an impressive search engine.

There are sometimes where I read these "go do your own research" responses and wonder to myself: "what's the point of having an active forum if having a new exchange of ideas is frowned upon?" I mean at this point, I would hazard a guess to say that actual brand new, unasked questions are a rarity, and that maybe it would just be best to archive the forum, post it as a web page, and save someone somewhere some money since it sometimes seems like no new threads can be added. I of course am just using this as an example taken to the extreme and would never want to see this happen, but it still leaves me with this "why bother" taste in my mouth.

Now if we were a super-huge and super active forum with thousands upon thousands of members with tens of tens of new threads posted per day, then yeah I say it would be time to start pushing people to older threads to just keep the forum tidy. I'll cite Blizzard Entertainment's forum for Heroes of the Storm, someone would create a brand new thread complaining about how OP or UP Nova is and everyone else is just like "Dude, go to the Nova Ranting thread, there's 150 pages of rants there, we don't need a new thread!". But here...frankly it gets so dead some days, I'd be okay listening to someone find a different way to answer "12 gallon main tank with an option 8 gallon auxiliary tank", at least it reminds me that people are still around haha.

I'll use an example of mine just because it's fresh on my mind. Now once again, I'm not calling anyone out here, okay? But a while back I was having difficulties figuring out which helmet to buy and what kind of headset system and frankly just any info I could garner. Now keep in mind, I have read every thread that is available for the public to see, which one of them did talk about helmets and offered a couple of websites to purchase from. But I figured I would start a new thread and maybe encourage more discussion about a topic that hadn't been discussed in 4 years. And a number of people did respond and we had a lovely discussion and I learned a lot, and yet there was one person(once again not calling anyone out here! lol) who suggested that I read the previous thread from 4 years ago, which I admit did have some good information of course! But one thing I've noticed, is that people don't go back and necro old threads when they get something new. I mean surely in 4 years, someone has had some new experiences with headsets and helmets that was not recorded in the older thread, so I thought a new thread would encourage new discussions, maybe someone would've realized "Oh hey! I bought this sweet new helmet a few months ago and I keep forgetting to come tell the community about it and this new headsets and helmets thread is the perfect place for me to tell everyone about it!" and just like that we would have a new discussion with new information. But all too often is seems like some would rather us to just use the search function and not encourage new discussions about old topics.

Hopefully somewhere in all my rambling my point is being made haha but there is one specific thing you said that does kind of rub me the wrong way...

"If a person is too lazy to do any research I don't know if I want them flying around in a machine that can kill them or others."

This statement here, to me, is a very toxic statement for the community, and I don't use the word "toxic" lightly. With this statement you are kind of on the path of being the "gate keeper" from whom all who wish to be interested in a Mosquito must obtain the blessing of. There are sooooo many reasons a person might not have the time or ability to do proper research, especially in the early "mild interest" stages of being a Mosquito owner. Some people aren't like you or I, some people can't learn very well by reading a book or a forum. That doesn't make them stupid or reckless or unworthy of being a Mosquito owner, it just makes them different. Some people learn best by just interacting with other human beings, and since it sometimes isn't easy to just to go pack up and visit the wonderful lads down in Florida so this is the best option. Some men...just want to watch the world burn...woah..wait what were we talking about again? Sorry my OCD hit hard there haha ;P 

Maybe that person is a very busy individual, and he might be like me and not feel very confident in building a Mosquito on his own, so he wants to gauge the community  and see how helpful people are. So he swings by, creates an account, asks a few simple questions, and voila! He is told all of those questions have already been answered and that he should search the forums. Well, he no longer feels like the Mosquito community would help him out if he were to get stuck with his build and maybe he'll just keep on flying his little Cessna thingy with the wings that for some reason, don't spin.

I mean maybe the attitude shouldn't be "I'm tired of answering your simple questions go research it yourself" to being a bit more welcoming, answer their questions and see if you can strike up a conversation, learn some more about the person, see if they're just a tourist or something more. I mean has anyone ever had the idea to make a introduction forum, and not require, but encourage new members to go create a thread and introduce and talk a little about themselves where we could all welcome them to the forum so hopefully they would have a positive new member experience? Put a sticky on the main general forum encouraging new people to go introduce themselves and "break the ice" so to speak.

Shunning people because they ask dumb questions in the name of safety is, to me, a pretty shaky argument. There are so many hoops to the process your must jump through before getting your fingers on a Mosquito that I promise you, if a person is indeed as dangerous as you make them out to be, then we as a community would see the signs that they are not fit to be a pilot just through our interactions, or Dwight and the CFX guys are going to be like "hey man, we think you should rethink this", but if someone is truly inherently dangerous, then the chances of them successfully affording the Mosquito, completing the build and flying it without any of us or the CFX guys realizing it are so astronomically high that it just seems cumbersome to worry about it at the "first post" level.

Besides, if someone really wants a Mosquito, shunning them from the website is not going to stop them, whether it be the used market or whatever, but maybe the better path is just having more patience and accepting all and truly find a person's resolve, determination and intelligence by simply befriending and interacting with that person.

Anyways, I could probably sit here and type all night, but I think I'll go play a few matches of hots before bed!

Oh! And more to the point of #1 in the OP's original post, I agree with you on the information, but just try to remember not everyone knows how to update that stuff, hell it took me a while to figure out where the little button was and how to navigate the menus, perhaps sticky-ing a tutorial on how to update your personal info? And as far as posting personal information on the internet...well to this one I say "Welcome to the Internet" haha, if someone wants to put their name and location on a public forum then awesome! But I get a really bad vibe from you...well I want to say "chiding" but I know that isn't the best term to use, but if someone doesn't want to put their personal information out to the world, then that is their decision and they shouldn't be made to feel guilty about it by anyone else. In fact, if history has taught us anything, the less information you put about yourself on the internet, the safer you are. Just my $.02.

Anyways, I hope I didn't make anyone angry! It certainly was not my intention! I'm a happy person, I love the Mosquito and I love the community and I want us all to get along and be a big happy family! I mean TBH guys....I'm kinda feeling a big group hug coming on here! Bring it in here guys!  Big Grin

TLDR: Uhh....sorry not sorry lol! ;P
"Into the fires of forever we will fly through the heavens
With the power of the universe we stand strong together
Through the force in our power, it will soon reach the hour
For victory we ride, Fury of the Storm!"