Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
xe 285 coolant temp
Has anyone had issues with their xe285 (inntec 800) overheating?  If so, what were the weather conditions and coolant temps you had?
I'm trying to figure out what ambient temperatures we can fly in without worrying about the engine getting too hot. Perhaps the word "overheat" is a bit agressive. Has anyone flown in 100+ temps? How bout high density altitude? I'm really looking for ANY input that you're willing to share. It was my understanding, and i could be wrong, that the ecu on these engines will put the motor into a limp mode if temps exceed a set value...which in our case would cause a forced landing. Does anyone know what that max coolant temp is?
Reading the arctic cat manual from the engines original install it says if the ecu detects high coolant temp it will make the motor surge to alert the operator. I've been watching the forum to see if anyone has struck this but no one seems to.
Fly guy did have a thread on surging but put it down to motor tuning.
That is true. I had an issue with surging but I am sure it was a fuel map issue. As far as high temps. I have found that the temp coming from the radiator seems to stay around the ambient temp. The coolant temp on the Pod-300 seem to come from a different location (in the engine) and registers higher. this is the one I watch. I start my engine at 5,272 feet. On this day outdoor temp was 88 degrees. Operations manual states normal coolant temp is 120-130. Since that was before the Pod-300 I would think this reading is from the radiator. As I mentioned that temp is usually around the ambient temp. I have not seen this temp go over operating temp. Now I am working on the relation to the engine temp. That is all I know as of now.

Michael
XE 285  1205 (Myrtle)
Start: 8/1/2013
Finish: 5/24/2014
Arrived home: 10/11/2014

Thanks guys. So sounds like cooling capacity is quite adequate, even on the hotter days. That's good to hear, I don't want to be grounded on hot summer days and was considering options for my build if i found that your input was that it tends to run hot.
Found this on a search. You can never have too much info.

http://forum.mosquito-helicopter.info/sh...p?tid=9194

Michael
XE 285  1205 (Myrtle)
Start: 8/1/2013
Finish: 5/24/2014
Arrived home: 10/11/2014