Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What a good day today was!
Yeah, I was actually going to scheduling my first flight in an Enstrom this weekend, but the weather forcast is not great so I'll do it some other week. I got my start in the 300, then when that crashed (ground resonance, not with me in it), I moved to the R44 which I loved (the school gave me 10hrs of R44 time for the same price as the 300 since it died). I got a few hours in a 333, but now sadly trying to finish in an r22 which Im not fond of. The Enstrom is about $100 more an hour, but if I love it, I might pay the extra.

The R22 is a nice little craft, I just don't like training in it. It's a lot tighter and less comfortable than others Ive flown, and not very forgiving. Even my instructor had some problems with low rotor RPM trying to do a power on recovery of an auto. I looked down when the horn went off, I swear it was nearing 60% before it climbed back up, and it dropped fast. Guess he timed it wrong. Either way, I've gotten the hang of it, but I feel like my training took a backslide with the R22 with the need to always be so cautious and on point... doesn't easily allow you to divert your focus to learning radios, cockpit management, navigation, and I do feel since it's not forgiving the instructors are more cautions about doing stuff.... In the 300 if I wasn't managing RPM well and we were heavy my instructor would just let me bounce it down the runway as I mastered the art of milking the collective... in the R22, no margin for letting me learn the hard way, instructor's always immediately on the controls. I do enjoy the R22, but would rather train in something else. It's like trying to teach a teenager to drive using a Lamborghini... just asking for trouble.
Omg! I just landed a helicopter without my instructor jumping in to save our lives! Omg what an amazing feeling!!!!!
"Into the fires of forever we will fly through the heavens
With the power of the universe we stand strong together
Through the force in our power, it will soon reach the hour
For victory we ride, Fury of the Storm!" 
Congratulations Casey,
When the time comes, I’m sure you’ll find your XE 285 much easier to fly than an F28C. Sure, it’s lighter and livelier than the Enstrom so you can’t just bob along with your hands in your pockets, but the Mosquito has much better throttle correlation and so much spare power that you will never have to ease down the collective to regain RPM. In fact, you barely have to tweak the twist grip. Just think about it and and you’re back to 100%. Magic.  Smile
Congratulations Casey,

How long did it take till your feet finally touched the ground? What a great feeling, right? The fun is just beginning. Keep up the hard work, it pays off!

Michael
XE 285  1205 (Myrtle)
Start: 8/1/2013
Finish: 5/24/2014
Arrived home: 10/11/2014

Casey, glad to see you're going after it. How's your build status?
XE285 #1329 N869DJ
Start: June 2018
Done:  Sep 12, 2018  Sleepy 
AWC Issued: Sep 26, 2018  Big Grin  
(11-03-2018, 11:53 PM)Jacko Wrote: Congratulations Casey,
When the time comes, I’m sure you’ll find your XE 285 much easier to fly than an F28C. Sure, it’s lighter and livelier than the Enstrom so you can’t just bob along with your hands in your pockets, but the Mosquito has much better throttle correlation and so much spare power that you will never have to ease down the collective to regain RPM. In fact, you barely have to tweak the twist grip. Just think about it and and you’re back to 100%. Magic.  Smile

Wow that sounds amazing! That is one thing that always worries me in the F28C is just how tiny that little portion of green is on the engine tachometer and just how much that needle can move about it during forward flight haha! I just don't think the day when I can fly my 285 can come any sooner! #tooexcitedforwords

(11-04-2018, 12:54 AM)FlyGuy Wrote: Congratulations Casey,

How long did it take till your feet finally touched the ground? What a great feeling, right? The fun is just beginning. Keep up the hard work, it pays off!

Michael

Honestly I think I floated the entire 1hr 45min drive home! Lol, with that one instance all of my worrying over whether this entire journey I have embarked on was a good decision or not just vanished! After 34 years of looking at the sky and dreaming(well of course I was dreaming of flying helicopters when I was .5 years old, what kind of silly question is that?!) I finally feel like a real helicopter pilot haha! But you are correct, this is just the beginning, there is sooo much more work to be done, and I couldn't be more excited!

(11-04-2018, 08:09 AM)Dick Campbell Wrote: Casey, glad to see you're going after it.  How's your build status?

Well honestly sir, I'm not quite sure how the factory is doing with my 285. I set out with the promise to myself that I wasn't going to be a pain for the guys at the factory and calling every day to check the status, etc., I'm just concentrating on my training and letting the professionals handle my Skeeter for now. The last time I talked to Norbert however, he did indicate that she should be in the paint booth around now. I told them there's no need to rush produce my kit, as it will be sometime next year before I can schedule time off to do my build anyways, and let's face it, how disappointing would it be to not have a license to fly it when its finished haha. Although I must say this hands-off approach of letting the factory get my kit built is killing me lol! I can't wait to see how my paint scheme came out! If it comes out only half as good as yours I'm going to be doing great!  Tongue
Casey,
It is really cool to see this kind of excitement again. I remember seeing it in the Navy students when they finally got the hover, auto, or takeoffs and landings. It was a little hard to see the faces with the tinted visors, but it was more of a whole body reaction.
I understand the excitement. I travel to the factory every Monday just to see how things are going. I watched a lot of Dick's build and am now watching Will build his. I don't suppose yours is the red, white, and blue one that just came out of paint?
Fly Navy,

Scott Langley
MCSE CEH CISSP

XET #1337 N334HY
Start: Sept 2018 ??
(11-06-2018, 11:42 AM)FlyNavy Wrote: Casey,
   It is really cool to see this kind of excitement again.   I remember seeing it in the Navy students when they finally got the hover,  auto, or takeoffs and landings. It was a little hard to see the faces with the tinted visors, but it was more of a whole body reaction.
   I understand the excitement.   I travel to the factory every Monday just to see how things are going.  I watched a lot of Dick's build and am now watching Will build his. I don't suppose yours is the red, white, and blue one that just came out of paint?

Haha yeah Scott I'm sure I wore that silly grin on my face the whole weekend lol! It's just such an awesome feeling flying right above the trees on TO and landings, watching all the little groundlings go about their business down there haha. But anyways, I sure wish I lived close to the factory like that lol, they would probably never get rid of me, like that stray animal that shows up at your house that once it gets just a tiny bit of table scraps or attention, will never go away lol! That would be me  Big Grin 

But that isn't my ship unfortunately that just came out of paint, you'll know mine by green, yellow and red  Wink