Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Introduction
Hi All

I am a new owner (build start in late September, hopefully).  I am retired Navy and was a helicopter pilot for the first half of my career with about 1900 rotor wing hours.  But I haven't flown in 21 years.  I'm excited to get back in the cockpit again.  I'm really looking forward to starting my build.  I am doing a factory assist build.  I live about 1.25 hrs away from the factory and will be working on it Mondays and Fridays.

I am building an XET.  I was a little jittery about throttle control since I have always flown gas turbines with governors.  And the turbine engine sound is a part of what I remember and miss.

I am still trying to figure out how to get to the manuals and documents that can be downloaded so I can start prepping for the build.
Fly Navy,

Scott Langley
MCSE CEH CISSP

XET #1337 N334HY
Start: Sept 2018 ??
Welcome aboard Scott. You are in a unique situation being close to the factory. I wish I lived that close! The factory assist build is the way to go and to me the building was a lot of the fun!

Michael
XE 285  1205 (Myrtle)
Start: 8/1/2013
Finish: 5/24/2014
Arrived home: 10/11/2014

Hi welcome to the forum and congrats on your decesion! *GASP*!!!!!! Omg you got serial #1337?! Oh man I wanted that serial number so bad! Haha

But as far as your manuals go, give Mike Messex(gosh I hope I didn’t butcher his name haha) a private message and he’ll get you access to the builders forum, that’s where you will download all your manuals!
"Into the fires of forever we will fly through the heavens
With the power of the universe we stand strong together
Through the force in our power, it will soon reach the hour
For victory we ride, Fury of the Storm!" 
Welcome, Scott

I flew A-6s in the Marines. I'm building a 285 at the factory, and plan to be back in Trenton this week, and stay for 2 or 3 until I finish. If you get a chance, pop over sometime.

Dick
XE285 #1329 N869DJ
Start: June 2018
Done:  Sep 12, 2018  Sleepy 
AWC Issued: Sep 26, 2018  Big Grin  
Since our Sailors would never let a pilot touch an aircraft, I'm also looking forward to the build. Closest I ever came was changing a starter when the aircraft went down in a field.
I sent a PM to the forum manager, but I'll verify the name and look up the other gentleman you mentioned.
Dick, I think I'll have to take a trip up there to pay for my engine in the next week or two, so I'll PM you when I'm heading up.

Thanks for the warm welcome!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Fly Navy,

Scott Langley
MCSE CEH CISSP

XET #1337 N334HY
Also from #1335, just out of the paint shop, welcome.
My name is Will, live in North Georgia, private pilot for several years and my helicopter experience is ~12 hours duel, can hover in some conditions !
I'm focused on lining up a trailer while waiting for a call from the Trenton factory as to when I can get started on my Factory Assist.
Again welcome to this group of NEWB's !
I was a flight instructor for 2 years and really enjoyed watching folks learn to hover. Between that and full autos, it was always a pleasure to see when the light came on.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Fly Navy,

Scott Langley
MCSE CEH CISSP

XET #1337 N334HY
Welcome to all newbies. I was just thinking about what a great Mosquito community we have here with experience levels from one end of the range to the other. I mean where else are we all able to lean on each others experience and see the thrills of "getting it". Welcome and share your experiences, from the excitement of the build through to chipping in or starting a thread on learnings for everyone here based on years of training or flight hours.
Scott,

Mike Messex is marcher07 on this forum. He is a technical support rep for the factory and a font of Mosquito knowledge.
XE285 #1329 N869DJ
Start: June 2018
Done:  Sep 12, 2018  Sleepy 
AWC Issued: Sep 26, 2018  Big Grin  
This is a question for the 'Turbine Heads!' How are we to practice autorotation? It appears that we will have limited control as to the engine rpm. The XET has a govner that keeps the rpm at 60k/6k. Can we turn it down to idle ? I've ask Dwight but he's so busy he hasn't responded. Scott & Campbell, How did you handle this or how would you handle this. I realize the A6 was not a heli, but you have some knowledge for sure.