Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Governor
I would love to have a governor on my XE3! I don't like using the friction device, feels funny to me, and holding open 3 carbs gets tiring! Count me in.
Skeeter
As a new guy to helicopters with only a hair under 20 hours of R22 instruction, the governor to me is like cruise control. While juggling all the balls while learning, I love it. My instructor knows I have ordered a Mosquito so he is giving me more governor OFF training. Today I did a 1.3 with gov off which does make it more demanding when you are trying to handle all the basics. He brought out some good points about RMP management how it creaps up and decays under different stages of flight. I can see how easy it is to get used to the gov. I love flying with it on but I'll be doing more training with it off as I go so my RPM management skills get better in the event of a failure.
This is one item that we are very concerned with.

We have considered making the governor system be inhibited for a number of flight hours. This is still up for debate.

Since Tom C. has built a governor, I'm not sure if we will proceed with our version. He seems to have a good handle on the system at this point. I would like to see his system do an automatic governor off in a large needle split, but I may be asking too much.

I will like to see how his system is accepted in the Mosquito group.

James L
Here's an interesting article that touches on governors.

http://www.kiwiflyer.co.nz/KiwiFlyer-...

Tom, Oskar, Andy, Rob, Hoyt, Brett, ... thanks for the governor info!!!

I read somewhere that one of the most effective
safety things to ever happen in the evolution of
the R22 was the addition of a governor
--- or something in that vein. (oh, it was in the
article Oskar linked to!!! another senior moment, rats)

Andy asked if anyone doesn't have friction, ...
Andy I don't have friction!
14 hours now holding the bings open - whew.
I have to land to scratch my nose (no wise cracks please)

I took apart the grip and it seems Bill D. (my x-builder)
did a lot of carving of plastic inside - guess
he didn't agree with the design.

I need a new throttle twist grip!
In Tom's photo, is that a special twist grip?
Does it have friction? What's the best one to buy?

Oskar, do you have any more info on your governor?

My turbine governors are super simple because all they
have to control is fuel flow/pressure. And like Rob said,
doing the twist can be fun.

Thanks!

Larry,

I haven't made any changes on the governor on my Air for about 10 hours now, and am very happy with the way it performs.

I've also installed a governor on my XE which now has 2 hours on it. It's worked flawlessly so far, today I flew in gusty 15 knot winds and did not have to touch the throttle at all. The governor had no problem keeping the engine speed constant.

The speed measurement on the Air works via a magnetic pickup located above the clutch. I couldn't fit the bracket on the XE and tried measuring the engine speed by tapping into one of the ignition trigger signals. It seems to work fine and also makes the installation a lot easier and tidier.

You can look at the differences between the two in the gallery.

Oskar
"In Tom's photo, is that a special twist grip?"

Yes. The method used in this system is a bit different in that the twist grip allows the pilot to override the governor in either direction. The twist grip itself is machined from a billet of aluminum and anodized. It uses two separate cables, one through the correlator to the carburettor splitter per the original John Uptigrove design. The second cable runs between the twist grip and the speed control servo motor. The second cable is coupled to the servo by a magnetic coupling and an overriding clutch. This means that if the pilot wants to speed up the engine over the set speed, all that is required is to twist the grip. If the pilot wants to reduce the engine speed, again, twist the grip.

This feature is primarily for safety. If the governor drops out for any reason the pilot can regain throttle control immediately, and, if the governor were to "run away" trying to increase RPM above a safe limit the pilot can keep it from doing so by simply turning the twist grip to close the throttles. Manually reducing engine speed, automatically decouples the governor until such time as it is manually re-engaged using the control switch. In addition to safety this also assists in simulated engine out practice.

This governor, like Oskar's, uses the CDI trigger as the speed input. This approach, in addition to being the most sensitive indicator of engine speed, also prevents engine runaway in the event of a drive system failure. If, for example the speed sensing was coupled to the main rotor speed, a failure which decoupled the engine from the rotor would result in the governor speeding up the engine to try and recover the lost RPMs. Doing an auto as the engine is self destructing just in back of your head is not something most folks would find comfortable.

Right now this system is still in evaluation in the US and in New Zealand. Once we are satisfied it fully meets all of the design criteria it will be available as a complete kit for installation on AIRs and XEs.

Dwight Junkin has made us aware the many helicopter flight instructors encourage students to use a governor during the primary training process, and sometimes do not ensure their students are able to fly the machine without one. Governors are wonderful devices for reducing the pilot workload. However, we strongly recommend that helicopter pilots establish competency in all aspects of flying their helicopters before relying governors for engine management.

A pdf describing what the full system looks like and the functionality it will have when it is released as a product is available from the link below.

Tom

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

.pdf   Governer.pdf (Size: 730.54 KB / Downloads: 1)
I've now put 10 hours on the "M6000 Governor" in the above post in my Mosquito. Tom has done a wonderful Job engineering it. The system is designed for Compact Radial's MZ-202 however an XE3 version is in development. It has performed flawlessly in managing my throttle in every maneuver I have made. Its as simple as running up the helicopter to 6000 RPM and engaging the governor switch, the handle then twists as the governor controls the engine. I also really like the fact that the start button and CDI checks are all built into the system. It took less than 4 hours to install and really looks and performs fantastically. the RPM never deviates more that +/- 100 RPM. The system sells for $1,200 US, Enquiries to me on the following link.

HTTP://www.innovator.mosquito.net.nz/...

Or contact your local Dealer

Blair
Greetings Blair:
As per the earlier blog today, the MZ company is out of business. Not since December of '08 have they produced any more engines. So I would not think there would be a market for the governor unless it can be made to work on some other engine. Dave
Gidday Dave,

Lucky we don't use anything from the MZ company!

We do however get the production MZ202 and MZ301 from Compact Radial Engines as standard for our Mosquito's.

The Governor has been designed for the MZ202 engine that is currently on over 170 Mosquito's worldwide Smile Air's and XE's, and XEL's

here is a link to the installation manual for the Governor HTTP://www.innovator.mosquito.net.nz/...

for more info please PM me , click here HTTP://www.innovator.mosquito.net.nz/...

or ask your Local Dealer.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)