Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Governor

All the major parts for the MZ202 are shipped from Italy (Guido Zanzoterra's company and other subcontractors) to Compact Radial Engines(CRE) in Canada. The final assembly and some finishing machining is done at CRE. CRE is primarily the assembler and sole distributor of the MZ202.

Later,

Eddy

Eddy,

I hate to say, but that is incorrect.

The MZ202 is not a Zanzoterra product. It was designed by Zanzoterra, and was built by them for some years. The product is now a CRE item. Zanzoterra does not warranty the item nor supply parts, for them, to anyone one else. You must go to Leon for parts.

CRE has taken over the MZ totally, and is the sole producer of the engine. The parts are still produced by the original company, but that is the only role they play.

The engine in all technical aspects is not a Zanzoterra any more. It is a Compact Radial engines name, and product.

I was told this directly by Leon.

James L
So, does CRE also make the MZ 301? Is the MZ 301 still available? When CRE acquired the name/rights did they also acquire the machining and equipment? "The product is now a CRE item. Zanzoterra does not warranty the item nor supply parts, for them, to anyone one else. You must go to Leon for parts." OK, so Zanzoterra does not warranty or supply parts. "the parts are still supplied by the original company." Did I misunderstand this or not. The parts are still supplied by the original company and are not warranteed. Exactly what parts are supplied by Zanzoterra? In other words, what parts are Zansoterra making that we cannot be warranteed?
Dave
scudrunner - 10/31/2009 10:02 PM

So, does CRE also make the MZ 301? Is the MZ 301 still available? When CRE acquired the name/rights did they also acquire the machining and equipment? Dave

Leon was doing the final machining and assembly for Zanzoterra when they were still supporting it. So He already had the machining abilities. Zanzoterra didn't go out of business, they just stopped building and supporting the MZ line. They are building much more complex items.

Leon still produces the 301 as I understand, but I haven't talked to him in a while. The only MZ he doesn't produce is the fuel injected one. This is based on my understanding of our discussions over the phone.

If you need to contact Leon look here:

http://www.compactradialengines.com/m...

That should clear up if they still produce the 301.

James L
scudrunner - 10/31/2009 10:14 PM

So, does CRE also make the MZ 301? Is the MZ 301 still available? When CRE acquired the name/rights did they also acquire the machining and equipment? "The product is now a CRE item. Zanzoterra does not warranty the item nor supply parts, for them, to anyone one else. You must go to Leon for parts." OK, so Zanzoterra does not warranty or supply parts. "the parts are still supplied by the original company." Did I misunderstand this or not. The parts are still supplied by the original company and are not warranteed. Exactly what parts are supplied by Zanzoterra? In other words, what parts are Zansoterra making that we cannot be warranteed?
Dave

It is a complicated setup....and I'm probably over stepping my boundaries to talk about the situation.

The MZ is produced by CRE, and CRE does all the warrantee (replacement, repair, etc). You must go to Leon if you have a problem. Where the raw cast parts come from, I do not have an exact answer. I know you can only get finished ready to bolt on parts from Leon.

I know if you call Zanzoterra, you will get pointed back to Leon with reference to the MZ line.

James L
That's interesting, because I have talked to Leon about my 301 and he pointed me back to john U. who has now handed me off to Dwight. And that brings us back to my original question of what is Dwight going to replace the MZ 301 with??? Guess I will have to wait and see. Dave
scudrunner - 10/31/2009 10:33 PM

That's interesting, because I have talked to Leon about my 301 and he pointed me back to john U. who has now handed me off to Dwight. And that brings us back to my original question of what is Dwight going to replace the MZ 301 with??? Guess I will have to wait and see. Dave

Dave,

I'm not sure what the issue is, since I do not know your specific situation. I would think if the XE3 was no longer being produced, this site would have a notification of it.

If you are having a problem with your MZ301, then you may need to go through Dwight. I'm not sure of the specifics for the situation.

It may actually be that Leon is not going to produce the 301 any more. It has been some time since I spoke with him. The sells versus the manufacturing costs, may not be worth the aggravation.

James L

OK James I'm going to disect this topic and discuss some of your post.

Quotes from your post are in red, and my comments are in blue.

"CRE has taken over the MZ totally, and is the sole producer of the engine".

My post above said that CRE does not make any of the major parts and only assembles the parts shipped to him from Italy (Zanzottera and other Italian contractors who make the pistons/rings and the mufflers). CRE does not manufacture the crankcase, the cylinders, the crankshaft or any of the major piece parts of the engine. CRE does assembly and some finishing machineing.

As you say, CRE is the sole "Producer" of the MZ202 and MZ301 (and other engines not important to this discussion).

Expanding on this further, Zanzottera did not sell the casting molds nor the rights for CRE to actually make the major parts for the MZ engines. Zanzottera makes all of the major parts for the MZ's as I stated before, and is the sole provider of those parts to CRE. CRE bought the sole rights to produce the MZ's from  Guido Zanzottera, with Guido providing the major parts.

The parts are still produced by the original company, but that is the only role they play.

The first part of the sentence above is exactly correct, the second part is totally wrong. Since Zanzottera is the sole producer of the major piece parts and CRE does not have the casting molds nor the license to these molds or the right to make the molds or the parts, then the only role Zanzottera plays is the major role...

CRE don't got no  parts from Zanzottera, nobody got no MZ's 

The engine in all technical aspects is not a Zanzoterra any more. It is a Compact Radial engines name, and product.

Based on the facts above, the MZ's are still (in all technical aspects) Zanzottera engines, because nothing has changed on them technically including the major parts still manufactured by Zanzottera. On the Zanzottera site you will not find any reference to the MZ line, and in fact it states they don't make engines for manned vehicles. The products you can now by from them is their UAV engines. Supplying the major parts for the MZ line IS NOT building or selling MZ engines.

No one but Leon (CRE) can buy these parts from Zanzottera, and no one can by a new MZ engine from anyone but CRE.

I was told this directly by Leon.

You interpreted what Leon told you and I can't falt you with that. To make sure you got it right, you may want to call Leon and ask him all about who supplies the parts and how he assembles them to the finished product. Leon is still in active, on-going  connection with Guido for parts ordering, problems, and other CRE stuff.

My info comes from folks I'm close to that in fact went to Italy, met with Guido Zanzottera and Antonio of Meadior pistons and went througnthe plants to see parts and pistons being made.

SOME TIMES IT IS NECESSARY TO MAKE

SURE MISINFORMATION  IS SQUASHED.

THE SPECIFIC INFO IN THIS INSTANCE IS:

1. MZ IS SHUT DOWN ...NO CRE IS LIVE AND WELL PRODUCING THE MZ202, AND MZ 301

2. CRE MANUFACTURES THE MZ'S...NO THE ARE THE FINAL ASSEMBLY, MACHINING, AND SOLE DISTRIBUTOR FOR THE MZ'S

3. THE GERMAN MZ COMPANY IS A COMPLETELY DIFFERENT ENTITY WHICH HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE MZ202 OR MZ301

Eddy

Eddy,

Your definition of a manufacturer and mine are different.

Dwight manufactures the XE line, not the people who cast the aluminum, or the machinist who cuts it. The people who assemble it are the manufacturers. They take on the responsibility, and the warranty.

I understand that CRE doesn't produce a majority of the parts which go into the engine, and neither do many manufacturers that produce products.

The fact remains, that CRE is the only place to get MZ parts, warrantee, or replacement (OEM).

Zanzottera may own the castings, and right to those parts, but without CRE the MZ is dead, at least in the US. Since Zanzottera will not build a manned aircraft engine, their engine could not be imported into the US.

So as I see it, without CRE doing what he is doing, the engine is dead (at least for the US), which makes him the major player. Even with the castings and such.....doesn't do much good if they are not bolt on products, or you can't buy them.

Parts do not make an engine, a manufacturer does. If Zanzottera will not assemble them, they are merely a parts supplier, even if they own the rights to all the parts.

JL

Bottom line, Leon is doing a great job supplying our mighty little engine, Keep up the great work Compact Radial Engines.

we love it