Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Governor
HAWK IP,
I've always been one to fly under the radar so to speak so I've never been the lead dog but if you've got a good looking bitch (female dog) in front of you, the view can always be quite nice. Wink Can't wait to meet all you guys in Trenton! Soooooo much fun. Yea baby.
hahaha... thnx buddy
Boy oh boy, why do I do this to myself, but here I go anyway. Again, before I start, I believe that the electronic governor is the best solution for this. With that said, a mechanical fix could be applied to this as well, maybe even to assist the governor making less work for it. As for the greasing the aircraft issue, saying it would change fuel required, that would be accounted for when advancing from idle to fly. For the rest, you would need a series of plates stacked on top of each other. Each plate represents a variable that you would want to account for. The bottom plate let’s say would be your collective. The next one above it would be your roll variable. The next, your pitch. The next your yaw. And last your airspeed which could be measured with a small externally mounted spring loaded flat plat drag panel that would connect to this cooralator via lever (for ratio) and cable. The airspeed must be measured to account for the increase in profile drag on the rotor blade as it travels faster through the air since drag is velocity cubed. Each plate will have rollers and would be referenced off of the plate below it. What this is now is a mechanical algorithm or computer. With each input of each variable, will add up with the others or subtracting from the others giving a plotted solution for the fuel needed. I just think that if you identify each variable that requires a change in fuel, then account for it, it should work. Again I am not saying that this should be done to the mosquito. I am saying though that it can be done. I do not think it could be done at less than the 1.9lbs that this governor is. But to say it can’t be done just because it hasn’t is foolhardy. I will try to draw up my mechanical computer on the computer so you can see how it works. This type of system would not require an anticipator (rate sensor) to warn a governor of an impending droop so it could add fuel quickly to prevent large droops like on most large helicopters. Turbines with a compressor shaft and separate power turbines need this because they are slow to spool up to high power demands. A rate sensor is not really required for a small recip helicopter engine I don’t think. Anyway, I was just going through some old posts and came across this one again and found it a little funny.
Hey guys! I was just skimming threw the post and it sounds like everyone would be happy if the Mosquito was set up like the R-22. It’s the best of both worlds combined. It has a mechanical corelator that advances the throttle with the rise of collective. But this is only set up for standard power needs. If it’s not a standard day and power required is more or less the electronic governor changes the throttle setting to keep the RPM in its optimum range. The only downside is that if you get carburetor ice, or the engine is already at max power you might now know it unless your rotor speed starts to sag, so a smart pilot will think ahead and twist the throttle before it’s known more power is needed, not to increase the rotor RPM, but quick enough to see how much power is left available.